• Marriage certificate query

Dear Sir,

My self Kamlesh P Thakur, Indian citizenship holder and my wife from Nepal ( born and brough up ), so where and how can  I register our marriage  (legal document of marriage ) in India and what document I have to be submitted.

We married on 9th Feb 2002 &  at present we are staying in U.P (Dist : Sambhal ) at Babrala location.

thakur kamlesh
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Babral ( Dist : Sambhal ), Uttar Pradesh
Religion: Hindu
1) to register under Hindu Marriage  Act, both the partners need to be Hindus. 

2) you have to apply to the marriage -registrar under whose jurisdiction the marriage took place. Alternatively, you can apply to the registrar of the place where either spouse stayed for at least six months before marriage.

4)  Both partners need to fill the relevant application form, sign it, and submit it, along with photocopies of the necessary documents , such as age proof and address proof 

5) obtain certificate from pandit who solemnised the marriage 

6) Once the application has been submitted and the documents verified , the concerned officer will assign a date for registration, when the marriage certificate will be issued
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46910 Answers
2775 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) It is pertinent to know where you got married and whether the marriage was a registered marriage or as per religious rites.

2) If you have a certificate of marriage issued by Nepalese Authorities you don't require to register your marriage in India as this certificate would suffice.

3) If you want to register your marriage in India you will  need to get married as per The Foreign Marriage Act before the diplomatic or consular officer appointed for such purpose.

4) If you want to just apply for the Certificate of Marriage, you can do so at the local Municipal office in Sambhal U.P. You have to produce proof of the marriage like Invitation Card, Marriage Photograph, Identification proof like Aaadhar card, current address proof and apply on the prescribed application form  available at the Municipality.
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
2264 Answers
110 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

 you both have to register your marriage under special Marriage act, which is meant for foreign citizen, when either of the spouse is a foreigner.
Apply in a prescribed format which is available in the  nearest registrar office of your area,
For this you need witnesses, and you both have to be present inperson
documents of address and id proof of both parties and birth certificate or any document showing age. Passport size Photographs of both parties. 
The procedure and the nominal fee will be available in the registrar office. 
Thresiamma G. Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1515 Answers
139 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Wherr u r marrieged ritual been performed that city court u can register ur marriage
Shivam Sood
Advocate, Ludhiana
93 Answers
1 Consultation

4.2 on 5.0

You may register your marriage in India under Foreign Marriage Act 1969 and if the Marriage Officer is satisfied that it has been solemnised in a foreign country in accordance with the law of that country then he will register it as one of the parties should be an Indian citizen. 
2.You should inform the marriage officer in writing that you desire to register the marriage under the above Act. 
3. The marriage officer for the purpose of this act may be a diplomat or the consular officer or their representative appointed by the Central Govt. Please check up the Embassy Office of Nepal Govt in Delhi for the purpose .
Sushil Jha
Advocate, Patna
262 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Mr. Thakur
As you are the Indian Citizen then you may file an application to intend to marriage before Marriage registrar under Special Marriage Act or solemnized the marriage as per Hindu Law in temple or before the society or arya samaj, arya samaj will issue a marriage certificate and based on that marriage certificate you may get the registration of marriage under Registration of Marriage act.

the Identity proof, address proof, passport size photographs and witnesses wil be required for completion of formalities of marriage registration.

Feel Free to Call
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

you have to registrar your marriage before your present residing area jurisdictional sub registrar / registrar marriages. You have to submit application for registration of marriages available in the registrar of marriages along with age proof ( Date of Birth Certificate/ 10 Class Memo/ Passport), residence Proof, Id proof, marriage join photos and pass size photos. after 30 days of receipts of application the marriage certificate will be issued.   
Lakshmi Kanth
Advocate, Hyderabad
404 Answers
13 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Yours will come under special marriages act or foreign marriages act. 

Since you have married in the year 2002 itself, for registration purpose you may have to approach your jurisdiction marriage registrar's office.

You will be guided with the formalities to be complied with in this regard, which yo can do it for getting your marriage registered under the said act. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
37100 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can register your marriage under Special Marriage Act in the office of the marriage registrar within the local limits of whose jurisdiction the marriage was solemnized. The marriage invitation card and some photographs of marriage along with residence proof such as adhaar card will have to be submitted.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23180 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer