• Harassment from father-in-law and his family

I got married in 2012,our marriage was not supported by any of our parents nor family members...friends helped us. after marriage my parents accepted us...but my husband's parents   didn't. its almost 1 year 3 months since our marriage,even to this day my father-in law tells my husband to leave and divorce me,and he will correct everything. point to be noted is my husband is very practical and he will never leave me. but the harassment they are giving to my husband is effecting our daily life.some day he will call asking money,some day he will ask to give back all the amount he spent for my husband's education....like this no limits for reason. and along with him my sister-in law is also playing nice game,she will teach all nautankis to my mother-in law and mother in-law will act same.both sister-in law and mother-in law came to our house with a bottle poison in it( i am not sure whether it had poison or not...lol) and asking my husband to drink it.my father-in law always talks about caste,they belong to higher caste and i'm from OBC,so he always asks why you didn't marry some SC/ST guy...u got only my son?? he tells my husband that, "if you come back,we will give her(me) some 2acres of land and will close the case"...
my question is what i can do with this type of person?i want complete legal advice...me and my husband dont want a single rupee from them....we will earn by our own. But if they keep on doing these things same one day my patience level will break.....what i can do that day???
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
find a job in another city .or go abroad for work purposes with your husband .  if you are in same city they will keep on coming over to your residence . you cant stop them as they are your husband parents . since your husband loves you and supports you it is not advisably to take any legal proceedings .
Hi, from your narration it is not clear whether your living with them or separately, if you stay separately you can avoid them somehow and regarding legal action option is there but thing is that, it will damage the relationship between yourself and your husband and according to you,your are very cordial to each other........ if you lodge single complaint against your father-in-law and mother-in-law they will go to the jail, so it is better avoid them is the only solution........ if your husband is said "yes"  to file a complaint before the police you can proceed accordingly. think twice.
you should file a domestic violence case against them before court u/s 12 of Domestic violence act 2005 and if you want revenge then you can also file a complaint u/s 498A of IPC.
no father will give  suapri for his son . s advised earlier better relocate to another city or find job abroad . your  in laws cannot do any thing legally . you are not dependent on them financially . you dont want their property . hence you are not susceptible  for any financial pressure . keep a safe distance from your in laws 

if they file any case fight it on merits . you have your husband support . 

on other hand if you file DV case against your in laws they will be in trouble .
these things are very common now a days,it is with most of the families like this,do not get so disturb by this,have patience ,every thing will settle down
Legally speaking, you can file a case for domestic violence seeking protection of life and liberty against your in-laws. However, in order to restore serenity within you it will be better if you and your husband leave the house on your own accord and start living separately. Litigation will be an expensive affair. Your husband is supportive of you. So you can do without the burden of attending court dates.
They cannot lodge any case against you as you have not committed a crime. The utmost which your in-laws can do within the four corners of law is to evict you from their property by moving a court of law. If any other case is indeed lodged against you then you will get sufficient opportunity to defend yourself. 

Howsoever shocking it may be to know that your father-in-law has said he will give a supari on his son, I am prepared to believe it as strange things do occur in this strange world. I will strongly recommend you and your husband to lodge a criminal complaint against your in-laws if any such threat is held out. Alternatively, you may file a case for domestic violence.
Already replied by experst
Fateh Chand Sharma
You can file domestic Violence case against your in laws. But do it only after consulting your husband.
u should file domestic violence case against them with consultation with your husband
As your cordial with your husband  and sure he will not leave you. why do you worry about your in-laws. no legal action can be taken against you by your in-laws. just ignore those things if you react they will also find ways to irritate you just be silent on it.
Nagalakshmi S.
Ignore your in laws.Try to be very good to them. It may help them to change their feelings about you.
Smita Shah