• Matrimonial dispute

If husband wife mutually agree in high court to live in a particular city, will they have to live in that city forever?
Asked 8 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

12 Answers

1. Give complete fact to understand the background of the problem to advise properly,

2. All shall have to comply with High Court direction unless stayed by the Apex court.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26831 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Provide detailed facts, otherwise answer would not proper.

Minansu Bhadra
Advocate, Kolkata
444 Answers
31 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


1) Under what circumstances did the husband wife mutually agree in high court to live in a particular city?

2) If there is an undertaking before the court and the court has so decreed you are bound to abide by it.

3) You need to get another direction either from the same High Court or the Supreme Court to go against such undertaking.

4) You need to provide a lot more details to get an appropriate advice in the matter.

S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
3430 Answers
175 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) if statement has been made by the couple that they would live in same city and it has been recorded by the HC in its order it would be binding upon parties

2) they can by mutual consent decide to stay in another city .

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89848 Answers
6516 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Such undertakings before the High Court are only for amicable resolution of the dispute of which the court is seized. They are not binding on the parties as no court can force a person to live in a particular city forever.

2. After the undertaking is given the spouses can by mutual consent shift to another city.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

state full facts of ur case to get proper reply.

R.K. Nanda
Advocate, New Delhi
457 Answers

4.7 on 5.0

Please provide the complete facts.

Sudershani Ray
Advocate, New Delhi
192 Answers
44 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

If there is any dispute between spouse and you have filed your compromise application before High Court during the proceeding of case then you can live separately throughout the life.

Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5127 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

It seems that such statement has been made mutually by the couple with the objectives to live together so, particular city is not important .what is of importance is living together.But in order avoid any complication it would be advisable to to get the said order modify or fresh order so as to live together in another city.

S.P. Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
703 Answers
13 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

if husband & wife mutualy consented and recorded in court. since court has decreed upon that circumstances to live in a particular place both the parties are to abide by the order.

Brijendra Kumar Vishwakarma
Advocate, Kanpur
117 Answers

4.5 on 5.0

No, there is no compulsion, if there is any change in circumstances then any party may file an application/petition before court with the prayer to change the city due to that reason, the court may pass an order

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6220 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

WHAT WAS THE MUTUAL AGREEMENT FOR. IF YOU Want to change place you can approach the that court and seek direction with a cogent reason

Jeshma Mohandas KP
Advocate, Kozhikode
567 Answers
1 Consultation

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer