• Marriage registration

Dear Sir,
I got married in 2006 and due to shortage of time I could not get my marriage registered. Over the time it got overlooked. We have a daughter who was born in 2008. I now feel we should have a proper marriage certificate as it is mandatory in many circumstances. I believe there is a procedure of registering marriage and obtain a certificate in such case with paying fines and all.
i)We got married in Jorhat, Assam where our ancestral homes are.
ii) We have been residing in Dehradun, Uttarakhand since 2008 (our daughter was born here and we have her birth certificate)
Please guide us as how to register our marriage now. It may be difficult for us to go to Jorhat, Assam for a longer duration (we can spare 1-2 weeks) for things to be done there.
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Dehradun, Uttarakhand
Religion: Hindu
Hi, there is no time limit for registering your marriage even now you can register your marriage before jurisdictional sub-register, both of you submit certain documents i.e age proof, address proof,marriage invitation, marriage photos and you have to file a application in the Sub-Register in a prescribed format, on the basis of this you can register your marriage.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4551 Answers
203 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1)Parties to the marriage have to apply to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction the marriage is solemnized or to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction either party to the marriage has been residing for at least six months immediately preceding the date of marriage. Both the parties have to appear before the Registrar along with their parents or guardians or other witnesses within one month from the date of marriage. There is a provision for condonation of delay upto 5 years by the Registrar and thereafter by the District Registrar concerned.

2) in delayed registration of marriage, the solemnizing officer or the person reporting or representing the marriage certificate for registration shall be required to execute and file an affidavit in support thereof, stating the exact place and date of marriage, the facts and circumstances surrounding the marriage, and the reason or cause of the delay.

3) better visit johrat for registration of your marriage . you would be able to complete formalities in 2 weeks time
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45421 Answers
2668 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist
Contact Sub-registrar office in Dehradun and apply for marriage registration with all the documents as ID proof, Address proof, Date of Birth Proof and Marriage Invitation Card along with Passport Size Photographs and three witnesses will be required at the time of Registration.

The registration Fee is very Nominal.

It will be better if you take help of a lawyer in Dehradun.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4856 Answers
221 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. as ur living in dehradun from 2008 u can get marriage certificate from office of marriage officer at dehradun also.

2. u need following documents;

A. age proof like school certificate.

B.ID proof like phone and electricity bills etc.

C.original marriage invitation card.

D.pass port size photos of you and ur wife.

E.affidavits of you and ur wife.

F.2 witnesses.
R.K. Nanda
Advocate, New Delhi
457 Answers

4.7 on 5.0

you can register it in dehradoon itself. visit registrar office of your area & do needful
Avdhesh Chaudhary
Advocate, Greater Noida
565 Answers
20 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

1. You can get your marriage registered with the local marriage registrar,

2. You are required to submit evidence of marriage like invitation card, photograph of marriage before relativess, individal ID cards etc,

2. The registrar of marriage will issue a certificate confirming the registration of your marriage.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18416 Answers
447 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1 marriage is registered at the place where marriage is solemnised or where groom resides. 

2. So you can register where your husband rssides. 

3. Identity certificate , address proof, marriage card, 2 witness are require at the time of registration.

4. Marriage is registered zt the marriage registrar office.

5. You can register your marriage within one year but you can registerd it after the said period but fine shall imposed uopn you.
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5066 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Since your marriage was solemnized in Assam, you may get your marriage registered at the registrar's office in assam. But since you are living in Dehradun then, you can apply in dehradun also submitting your address proof. The delay of usually 5 years is condoned as per the registration of marriage's Act however you have to file an affidavit detailing the venue and time of marriage and describing your delay in clear terms. The Registrar or the District Magistrate concerned can condone the delay.
Shaveta Sanghi
Advocate, Panchkula
866 Answers
64 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

There three jurisdiction, where you may get your marriage registered at the registrar's office:
1. Assam ( where marriage was solemnized)
2.Dehradun( where you are residing)
3.where either spouse stayed for at least six months before marriage

 Both partners need to fill the relevant application form, sign it, and submit it, along with photocopies of the necessary documents , such as age proof and address proof, invitation card ,photograph of marriage . In addition to this both parties will need to disclose their previous marital status, if any. All the documents should be attested by a gazetted officer.
Sudershani Ray
Advocate, New Delhi
192 Answers
42 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

1. You do not need to go to Jorhat to register your marriage. Marriage can be registered at Dehradun as you and your spouse have been residing thereat since 2008.

2. The marriage invitation card and a few photographs of marriage would have to be annexed with the application form, whereafter the marriage registration certificate will be awarded to you. The process takes around 2 weeks.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can register the marriage in the place where it is solemnised get a certificate for the same and give a marriage photo address proof and two witnesses and give an application for the same.you can get the marriage certificate by post
Jeshma Mohandas KP
Advocate, Kozhikode
567 Answers
1 Consultation

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer