• Signature on blank vakalatnama

My lawyer has asked me a to sign on a blank green sheet because he is represneting me in the court on an insurence matter. Since I travel often he said he would like to keep a blank signed sheet just in case he needs to file additional documents in court. Is it ok for me to sign on a blank sheet? Im not worried about how the lawyer will missuse it since he is known to me but my concern is If this sheet comes in possession of the wrong hands who is unintended can it be missued?
Asked 3 months ago in Property Law from bangalore, Karnataka

See firstly you have already given him vakalatnama for.the ongoing case so no additional vakaltnama is required for case to file extra document or application in same court .

Further he may also keep this if required for other court proceeding and you are travelling and Vakaltnama shall be of his name it cannot be misused as such.

So you may give him vakaltnama if it is required by him as if he intend to misuse he is already your lawyer and has signed VP in court.

yes you may sign the same, this happens in the usual course. 

Ask him to keep it safely. 

Do not worry about the same. 

1. Giving your signature on a blank sheet depends n mutual trust and faith between an advocate and client. Many clients do this and there is no illegality in it.

2. However f you have reservations on this then get a written acknowledgement from him through e-mail or whatsapp messages that you have a documentary proof that you have given him blank signed sheet. 

3. Else when it is required you send it through post. 

It is never adviced to give anyone blank signed paper to anyone. It can lead to various disputes later. 

It can even be used to execute a will after your demise 

Siddharth Jain

You need not to worry. He keeping your signed Vakalatnama just for formal use in case of you are not immediately available for some urgent legal work. Advocates use Vakalatnama just to represent their client not to misuse their client.

Jaswant Singh
Advocate, Gurugram

Advocates use to keep such sign papers but not in routine but only to coup up any contingency, if need may arise to file some application in court and you are not present. Don`t rely too much as any settlement made by advocate on behalf of party in court , is binding on you, even if not accepted to you.

And you should be informed of, what application or documents is filed in court. Being absolutely blank will count your fault and not of advocate.

if there is any lack of trust between you and your lawyer then don't do that.

Please take back the signed green sheet from your Lawyer.

If it is a Vakalath and case number is mentioned on it you no need to wary.

Rajashekar
Advocate, Bengaluru

When you sign on blank vakalatnama you are authorising your lawyer to fill in the details 

2) it would be filed  by your lawyer in court to appear on your behalf 

3) you can fill in your lawyer name if you apprehend it can be misused

Actually you should not sign on blank green sheet vakalatnama format should be present in it.  Anyways if you trust him then it's ok.  Just check whether he has filed the same in court. 

1. chances of misuse cannot be ruled out

2. not advisable to sign on blank sheets even at the request of your lawyer

3. if further documents are needed in the legal matter in which this lawyer is representing you, he can always make arrangements 

4. what if the lawyer uses this blank signed sheet for making any affidavit in which certain things are stated which you never intended? 

5. the practice of the lawyer is not correct, in my opinion

Yusuf Rampurawala

1.  A Blank Vakalatnama, would still mention many things like parties names, lawyers name & registration no. and other small details.

2. It would be highly unwise to sign on an absolutely blank paper, irrespective of any amount of trust on anybody including family members. Trust & Promises, are something that is meant to be broken, specially so when time & destiny are not in your favor.

Hemant Agarwal

I never ask my client to sign on blank paper and the same should be the approach of every professional.

I advise you not to sign on blank paper as the same can be misused, maybe by the lawyer or by anyone else, who take possession of the same due to any body's fault.

rest upon you but never sign on any blank paper.  

Suneel Moudgil
Advocate, Panipat

The green paper is mostly used for legal purposes like affidavits, agreement, compromise deed etc.

If you lawyer has taken some paper from you whether papers are signed or taken signatures on blank papers you have to talk with your lawyer Regarding that one.

Dear client 

You don't have to worry about that as he is going to represent you in court and it is a normal practice to keep the blank signatured papers of client in case of sone urgent application need to be filed on your behalf in your absence.

And lawyers keep the documents of client safe. So no need to worry about the loss of document. 

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak

Normally in the interest of clients such signatures will be taken on blank green sheets. If you believe the advocate then it is okay and ask him to keep the same in the safe custody away from his juniors who may be mischievous.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru www.kishanretiredjudge.com

- A Vakalatnama , generally in Green Colour , is the document empowering a Lawyer to act for and on behalf of his client.

-  A lawyer generally avoid to take his clients signature on any blank sheet for any purposes.

- Since, the said Lawyer is your well known , then due to having confidence , he has taken your signature on the blank sheet.

- Further, a lawyers profession is full of responsibilites , so you should have trust on him .

-Better, instruct the said lawyer to keep informed you , for the date of hearing and for proceedings in your absence before the Court.      

Mohammed Shahzad

Dont worry about it because it is usual for most of the lawyers to obtain signature in the blank green sheets so that in case any emergency petition is to be filed, they need not look for you.

This is almost routine affair.