• Fraud law

If my father has a warrant on him for fraud and has escaped India, will I as his child be in danger If I come back to India. I am 18years old.
Asked 4 years ago in Criminal Law
Religion: Sikh

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

19 Answers

They cannot harm you but they can ask you about whereabouts of your father and for that they can interrogate you but in good and respectful manner...they cannot force you for anything.

Abhilasha Wanmali
Advocate, Nagpur
1022 Answers
1 Consultation

4.8 on 5.0

No, if warrant is on him then you will not be in any kind of problem.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You would not be held personally liable for any offence committed by your father if you had no role to play in the commission of the offence.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5930 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

police cannot arrest you, no need to worry.

maybe in this scenario police can ask you about your father only,but they cannot arrest you.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

No for the crime of your father you wont be responsible or troubled in any way you can freely come in India.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You are no where liable for the fraud committed by your father. In criminal cases no liability is cast upon legal heirs as such you need not worry even if you are back in India nothing will be done to you.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

No, you need not worry, they cannot implicate you in that case. But you might be called to the police station for questioning and they may ask you about your father and his location.

Junaid Ali Khan
Advocate, New Delhi
173 Answers
1 Consultation

4.7 on 5.0

Hi, no action can be initiated against you, for the offence committed by you father

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You would not be in danger as you have not committed any offence

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87938 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

No, however what criminal act is done by your father and what type of agreement has he signed.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. Criminal liability cannot be fastened on the legal heirs of the accused. So the answer to your question is no.

2. However, after the lifetime of your father if any of his properties is inherited by you then the property can be attached.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30761 Answers
971 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The relatives of the accused persons has never been implicated or harassed in connection with the another accused person.

2. The police can arrest the relative of the accused person only when they are found to have bee giving the accused shelter or harbour or in conspiracy with him in commission of the crime.

3. So f you have not done any of these things then you have nothing to worry.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

No you cannot be charged for the crimes of your father

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


An fir must have been registered and hence the police must have been looking for him in India. If he is absconding his friends family and relatives would be questioned but they cannot be indicted along with just because they are associated or were associated with him through blood marital ties or friendship.

There has to be a connection between him and the act done by him and the person then only the police would question you and can put you in jail. If you haven't done anything then there is a very remote chance that you will be questioned unless of course you are dependent upon him and a financial fraud etc hs taken place.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13759 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Criminal law is personal in nature and as such there will be no legal impact on other family members.

Since the warrant is on your father, you will NOT in any which way be affected or impacted by the criminal proceedings that are pending against your father.

You can proceed to lead your life normally in India and as a free man.

No worries.

Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
2169 Answers
394 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

NO, but his properties will attach by court if any in India.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Definitely. Before that it is wise to approach High Court and get stay on the said proceedings with main relief of quashing entire proceedings. Police will arrest you and interrogate you to know whether your father parted his illegal earned amounts to you and purchased any properties in your name or deposited in your account.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4952 Answers
27 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1. Criminal Offence of Father, is classified as Vicarious Liability AND is NOT Transferable to Son or anybody else, UNLESS it can be proved that son was also involved distantly.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5612 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If there is a warrant pending on your father, then it will be a problem to your father alone and not to anyone else.

You need not be worried about it, you can come to India freely.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78095 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer