• Can Hindu marry again after divorce as per law?

Q1. If a person is divorcee in Hindu Religion, as per law can he/she marriage again?

Q2. If he/she can marry again after divorce, Is divorce documents of first marriage is required to show at the time of second marriage in court?
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

19 Answers

1) after divorce person can remarry.

2)certified copy of divorce decree would be required at time of court marriage

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
88406 Answers
6234 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

yes the a divorcee can marry after 90 days of the divorce decree passed by way of special marriage act.

Aveek Bose
Advocate, Kolkata
1222 Answers
9 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Yes he can marry again after the appeal period of 90 days from date of decree of divorce is over and the decree is not challanged.

Yes if your doing a court marriage than the documents/ decree of first marriage needs to be presented before the court.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Yes he/ she can re marry.

2. Yes. If court marriage is being done then you will have to show the divorce documents.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17942 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can marry again after the period of any appeal expired.

For registration of marriages you need your KYC documents and marriage proof if married and approached to register.

If any objection to the marriage arise then the copy of divorce decree may be presented.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Dear Sir

Yes. Divorcee is like free from bonded wed lock. He/she can marry with any one.

Not required. But in the form if you mention as Divorcee then may be attached as documents for reference.

Feel free to reach us for more clarity

Shettar SS
Advocate, Bangalore
182 Answers
1 Consultation

4.4 on 5.0

A divorcee is legally competent to contract a marriage.

Why to show the divorce documents to the court?

Rajaganapathy Ganesan
Advocate, Chennai
2085 Answers
8 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Dear Client,

2nd is permissible after 90 days of divorce and no stay in high court.

Yes, if u will opt in divorce category, copy of same will be required.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1.) Yes she can marry again.

2.) Yes it will required.

Laksheyender Kumar
Advocate, Delhi
734 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Hi, if you hold a valid decree of divorce from court then you can remarry ... At the time of second marriage registration you will have to mention yourself as a divorcee..

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4623 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. Yes, he/she is free to remarry.

2. No need. As long is one is legally divorced, he/she is free to remarry.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9441 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. After the favourable decree of divorce is obtained and also the appeal period is over, a divorcee he/she is at liberty to remarry.

2. There is no need to show the first marriage divorce documents to Court at the time of second marriage.

Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
4209 Answers
258 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) Yes, he/ she can marry again after first divorced.

2) Yes, it compulsory to show first marriage divorce certificate at the time of second marriage and after 90 days of first divorce.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12406 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Yes a divorcee can remarry.No documents are required if the marriage is not registered.In case of court marriage , the court may require divorce documents

Parkash Chand Bhardwaj
Advocate, Hamirpur
120 Answers

4.8 on 5.0

the Dovircee can marry there is no legal clog on it.

If required to produce before the registration you may have to.

Advocate, Bangalore
584 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

There is no legal impediment for a divorcee to re-marry another person and there is no provisions in law for any such restrictions.

Yes, that proof has to be submitted before re-marrying another person to avoid a voidable marriage or the question of bigamy.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78567 Answers
1557 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


If the divorce is obtained and complied with all the requirements etc., YES the Divorcee can marry.

No need to show the document to any one. However, the same needs to be shared with the prospective life partner to avoid any future complications.

Good Luck

S Srinivasa Prasad
Advocate, Hyderabad
2876 Answers
9 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

My answers are as follows:

Q1. If a person is divorcee in Hindu Religion, as per law can he/she marriage again?

Ans: Yes, who is legally divorced entitled to marry again.

Q2. If he/she can marry again after divorce, Is divorce documents of first marriage is required to show at the time of second marriage in court?

Ans: Yes, otherwise you can file a complaint for the offence under the provisions of Indian Penal Code,

Section 494 in The Indian Penal Code

494. Marrying again during lifetime of husband or wife.—Whoever, having a husband or wife living, marries in any case in which such marriage is void by reason of its taking place during the life of such husband or wife, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.

(Exception) —This section does not extend to any person whose marriage with such husband or wife has been declared void by a Court of competent jurisdiction, nor to any person who contracts a marriage during the life of a former husband or wife, if such husband or wife, at the time of the subsequent marriage, shall have been continually absent from such person for the space of seven years, and shall not have been heard of by such person as being alive within that time provided the person contracting such subsequent marriage shall, before such marriage takes place, inform the person with whom such marriage is contracted of the real state of facts so far as the same are within his or her knowledge.

For more details please contact me immediately through Kaanoon Website.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6055 Answers
385 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0


In case of mutual consent divorce, the second marriage can be done next day and in case of contested divorce, the marriage can be done after period of appeal is over and previous divorce documents are needed.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer