• Previously registered marriage

How can I find about my partner, that wheather she is married or had divorce previously?
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

7 answers received in 1 day.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

1) you can take search in records in marriage registrar office wherein your fiancee is residing as to whether she has been married previously or not

2) for divorce you have to take search in records in family court wherein your fiancee is presently residing

3) obtain in writing from your fiancee that she has not been married earlier

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95216 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

registration of marriage is not mandatory in India so you cannot get information from marriage registrar.

you should get an affidavit from her regarding her marital status i.e. whether she is unmarried or not.

Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5127 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. To know the past about any person if you do not have own source then you need help of detective agency.

2. You can make court searches but if no court order is passed then search result may not yield any result.

3.So you have to bank upon personal information to know her past.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Ask her for her Passport, Aadhar Card, Election Card , etc and check for any evidence of her previous marriage.

2. Through indiscreet enquiries from your as well her common contacts try to ascertain the required information.

3. Get the services of private detective agency to explore the truth.

4. Ask her to sign an affidavit stating that this is her first marriage and had not married before.

Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
5183 Answers
317 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Contact a lawyer in her area where she was reside and search the marriage registrar office and the family court of area in whose jurisdiction she was residing or she is residing.

Feel Free to Call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6307 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


it is probably impossible to find this in India. However, the least you can do is you can approach the registrar office of the place where your partner resides and inquire whether any marriage in her name has been registered or not. There being n number of offices and courts in India it is almost impossible for you to get a concrete report on the same.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
18079 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Your partner might marry religiously at temple or at private place without registering his/her said marriage and in that case it is impossible to trace the record of his said religious marriage.

2. However, you can try to find out where did he stay after attaining adulthood and search for the registration offices having jurisdiction of those places whether he/she had ever registered any marriage or not.

3. This also is not a full proof method since he/she can register his/her marriage at the registration office having jurisdiction of the place where his/her wife/husband stayed.

4. You can engage a detective agency to find out the said information.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27245 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You should go to the office of the marriage registrar in the city where she lived and conduct an extensive search therein.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

For registration of a marriage under Foreign or special marriages act, a certificate from the concerned authority certifying the marital status is to be produced mandatorily for registering the marriage in India.

The certificate in respect of a foreigner desiring to marry in India shall be procured from a competent authority of his / her country.

If you want to find out his/her marital status, you have to enquire the same from your own reliable sources only, there is no legal procedure for this.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer