• Dowry & mental physical harassment

Dear All Learned person,

I am living in Lucknow my home town and in laws house is in Lucknow. My husband and mother in laws always criticized my parents and brother for dowry. My husband in a daily drinker, he is in film industry working as assistant director as he lives in mumbai and i have to stay in mumbai that was first perception but that even changed when i got married.
With perception that i have to live in mumbai  i should  adopted life like there so i should drink with him so that he could have company, i asked some friends about and agreed and understood that its is normal thing out there and even here as my husband is agreed to this. But my husband use this trick to seduce me before marriage and get physical as my family was totally depended on me and i was fully in pressure to do this marriage
After marriage my in laws including my husband started critcizing my parents,brother, they asked my salary to give to my mother in law, my husband is asking for rings and chain &  ask even money from my home. My mother in law and husband tried to take full control on me  but finding no way out they started daily giving mental torture, my husband and mother in laws always ask chain that should be given by my mother. 
They always do act so that i can't talk to any one whether my parents or friends. They had compelled me in lovely way to leave my job and for next job i had to fight till morning 5 Am with my husband. I was without money for every single need i have to ask my husband and he use to ask from her mother. My mother in laws right after the marriage kept my all gold jewellery with her and money that i  got for any rasam in house as usually happens in hindu marriage. My husband after few days of my marriage went with me to a marriage of my friend where he drinked on 12/12/2015 and created scene on road he use to pull me down from bike make stand in front and talk to me in abusive language and then again me back on bike again after some distance do same and again pull me back he was not in condition to go back home i tooked him to my home were my parents came across his new avtar.
Now things are getting bitter and i am sitting at my father's house last 9th march morning 5:30 am as he did same incident and this time it was 6th time he did it again.Kindly tell me how i can get help from law what proceeding i should follow to make them punish. What i have written here i just 2% what happen with me.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Religion: Hindu
1) file 498A case against husband and in laws under section 406, 498A of IPC for continuous act of cruelty, dowry harassment , refusal to return your streedhan etc 

2) also file Dv case and seek alternative accommodation , maintenance from husband , and compensation for mental torture undergone by you 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
40244 Answers
2286 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) It is important to know how long you have been married and what resolutions you are looking for besides bringing your husband and in laws to justice.

2) You have the options to file a case of dowry harassment which can cause immediate arrest of them and further punishment.

3) If you are constantly being tortured by your husband mentally and physically, you can also file a case of domestic violence under provisions of Protection of Women against Domestic Violence Act 2005. Cruelty being meted out to you is also a ground for filing for divorce that you may consider. 
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
2196 Answers
104 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You should file criminal case under section 498 A/383/379/504/506 IPC & section  3/4 dowry act. 

498 a for cruelty
383 for extortion (compel to give all salary to mother in law)
379 for theft (taking all jewelry)
504/506 for criminal intimidation.  
3/4 dowry case for extort money from your parents.

if you want to live in matrimonial home you can file case under DV Act for accommodation and protection order. 
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
4817 Answers
75 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

File a case of Domestic Violence (498A) in the nearest police station against your husband and in laws. You can file the case against your husband and your in laws in Lucknow itself. Also in UP there is no concept of bail. your husband and in laws will be arrested and produced before court. 
Also you should file a case for maintenance under Sec 125 Cr.P.C . 
No worries. be firm and file a domestic violence case. things will turn better for you. 
Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
1192 Answers
128 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, you can file a petition for divorce on the ground of cruelty and it is good case for filling a petition for divorce on the ground of cruelty.
2. You can also file a police complaint for the offence punishable under 498/a, against your husband and  in-laws.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4451 Answers
197 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

You have been meted out with cruelties clubbed with domestic violence by your husband and his close relatives.
You can approach court with a case under the provisions of DV act;
You can lodge a complaint with police for the cruelties and criminal intimidation acts lashed out against you.
You can file case under section 125 cr.p.c. seeking maintenance from your husband.
You can seek the relief of divorce through court on the grounds of cruelty and continuous harassments. 
You can consult a local lawyer and seek relief through him as per his further advise.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
30332 Answers
316 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You are free to apply for dissolution of marriage on the ground of mental cruelty which he can contest. This apart, you may also file a criminal complaint for dowry harassment and a case for maintenance against him. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22627 Answers
609 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer