• Harassment for dowry IPC 498A and Domestic Violence

Hello, sir

i got married in nov 2013. at time of marriage my father given all households thing, money and gold too but after few days of marriage my in-laws asking me for money... they forced me to bring money from my parents when i refuse to do so they beaten me and threatens to kill me and in march last i come know that my husband has illicit relationship too and when i ask him to leave that women he beats me, verbally abuse me and threatens to kill me and in apr 28 2014 he beats me brutally and and throw out from his house so next day i come to my parents house after that he never ever call me back and said i don't want to live with you,.sir help me out, how to deal with dis? how to fill a strong fir against him and his family pls guide me soon..
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Kashipur, Uttarakhand
Religion: Hindu
1) file a complaint under section 498A before the local police station against your husband / in laws

2) also file complaint under Dv act and seek protection order 

3) also seek right to stay in matrimonial home or alternative accommodation

4) also seek maintenance and compensation . 

5) for drafting strong complaint contact a local lawyer
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45738 Answers
2692 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can give complaint to police against your husband and other in-laws for torture, harassment etc.if police do not register  or help then file complaint in court under section 200 Cr.pc. Also file case in DV Act for right to residence,maintenance, and also seek compensation for harassment etc.
S.P. Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
703 Answers
13 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Enough is enough. You have silently suffered the misdeeds committed by your husband and in-laws. Give a Police complaint against your husband and in-laws for harassing and giving you torture U/s.498A in the jurisdictional Police Station. File another complaint under DV Act to seek protection, to stay in matrimonial home or alternative accommodation, maintenance and compensation.
Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
1638 Answers
107 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. First decide what do you want? If you want to end this marriage and punish your husband for his guilt then you can follow the options mentioned below-
i. Lodge a complaint with local police for starting case u/s 498A , 406 IPC.
ii. File case u/s 12 of PWDV Act whereby you can claim for your maintenance and provision for your residence.

2. if after this your husband becomes ready for compromise then do so in lieu of permanent alimony of your choice.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12887 Answers
166 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

 If you feel this marriage has no future and the idea of a divorce is in your mind, please go ahead and file an FIR under 498A in the nearest police station. If you have any articles and dowry amount with your husband and his family 406 IPc also can be added to this. Generally the police lodge FIR under 498A and 406 IPc. To get this done either in you approach the police station and meet the SHO of the station and tell him about your Problem , he will help you to lodge an FIR, or else take the help of an Advocate prepare a complaint and go to the police  and proceed to file FIR.  
You can also file a DV case in the magistrate court but an FIR will give help you more. Later on you can move to file divorce  on cruelty & adultery grounds asking alimony and maintenance. Your complaint under 498A will support your divorce petition. Have the courage and confidence to fight  for you and be assured that law supports woman .
Thresiamma G. Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1515 Answers
134 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Avdhesh Chaudhary
Advocate, Greater Noida
565 Answers
20 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Dear Querist
you can file a criminal complaint before police and requested to registered a case u/s 498A/406/323/34 of IPC. secondly you can file a domestic violence case against them before Magistrate u/s 12 of Domestic Violence act 2005 read with section 17/18/19/20/21/22/23 of D.V. Act. (as applicable).
Feel Free to Call
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4867 Answers
222 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. Do you have any proof of the illicit relationship of your husband? If yes, you may file a case for divorce against him on the ground of his infidelity.

2. You may also file a criminal case for adultery against him wherein he will be sentenced to imprisonment if the allegation is proved.

3. Do file a complaint for domestic violence to seek re-entry in your matrimonial house, if you desire. You may also seek a protection order to put an end to further abuse by your husband. This apart, you can also seek compensation for harassment undergone.

4. Last but not the least, you may sue him for maintenance as it his legal obligation to provide you financial support.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. When you were beaten brutally, did you go to a govt Doctor or Hospital to register your wound as an witness of being tortured by your husband and his family mambers? If yes, then it will be a very good evidence against them,

2. Decide finally whether you will teach them a good lesson or not for which your chance, if any, of going back will become nil,

3. If decided, file a police complaint u/s498A of IPC for subjecting you to cruelty for dowry with all the evidence  under copy to DC/SP,

4. If police fails to act, file an application u/s156(3) praying for direction upon the polce to investigate and act based on your complaint,

5. Engage a local reliable lawyer having experience in the field.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18547 Answers
449 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer