1. Since the institution of marriage has not worked favourably for you both, better to opt for Mutual Consent Divorce.
2. By opting for MCD, you will be saving time, effort, money and long litigation.
3. Cooling period starts after filing of joint petition and first motion in family court. Hence both of you have to undergo cooling period of minimum 6 months to maximum 18 months, which enables an opportunity to the couple for withdrawing the divorce petition.
4. Therefore even if the couple are separated for 7 years, filing for MCD is now only and hence the cooling period.
5. Judge will ask both of you, whether there is any change in decision or both of you are ready to be divorced. Based on the answer given by the parties, divorce decree or otherwise shall be passed.