• Can GPA holder execute a sale deed

Hi, I am interested in buying an apartment in Gurgaon. The owner lives out of India & can not travel to India owing to the pandemic to execute the sale deed. The owner has granted his brother the GPA. Can the GPA execute a sale deed? I will be registering the apartment in my name & paying the required stamp duty etc to the government.
Asked 1 year ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

9 answers received in 1 day.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

11 Answers

It should be specific POA duly attested before Indian consulate 


then only brother can execute sale deed 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87206 Answers
6048 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, he can executeon behalf of his brother. But make sure that GPA is authentic and valid.

Nikhil Gupta
Advocate, Yamunanagar
37 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

Yes. GPA should contain the purpose of signing sale deed and it should be authenticated by notary or registered first. 

POA holder then can appear before the Registrar and execute the sale deed on behalf of the owner. 

Kallol Majumdar
Advocate, Kolkata
2807 Answers
11 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, GPA Holder may execute a sale deed in favor of the buyer. so if all other documents are clear, you may proceed and purchased the property without any hurdle.

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6220 Answers
298 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Hi, If the owner will execute GPA to his brother. On the basis of the GPA his brother can sold the property to you.

Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
5374 Answers
306 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Yes he can execute a sale deed if he has a valid POA

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
26713 Answers
79 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Hi, yes a GPA holder can execute a sale deed 

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4617 Answers
65 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Go for a Special Power Attorney solely for the purposes of execution of the sale deed. There are lots of frauds happening on the basis of GPA sales.

Sumit Rana
Advocate, New Delhi
19 Answers

Not rated

The GPA deed if is executed by a registered document and also clearly authorises the power agent  by its principal to sell the schedule of property as mentioned in the GPA deed, then the power agent can very well proceed with the execution of the registered sale deed in favor of the buyer provided the power agent is producing a life certificate of the principal attached to the general power of attorney deed.

Whatever worth it may be, you better obtain a legal opinion before venturing into the purchase of this property.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
77360 Answers
1455 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If a GPA is registered and duly stamped, the GPA holder has the power to execute the sale deed.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19012 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Yes that is the only way for you and is legal.

Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13678 Answers
62 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer