• Marry Indonesian girl and settle in India

I am a Muslim Indian boy and want to marry Indonesian Muslim girl. Our both parents are ready for the marriage. We want to get married in Indonesia but will settle together in India.
Can anyone guide me for all the legal procedure and documentation required.
I want to know everything in detail and if required, detail consultation can be done.

Thank you.
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Muslim

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

16 Answers

Hi,once you are married ,you have to get your marriage register before the marriage registrar office at your city of residence..Once it is registered she will obtain the Indian citizenship 

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4627 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can get married in Indonesia and register marriage with Indian embassy or consulate under provisions of foreign marriage act 



  1. Completed application form for "Solemnization/Registration of marriage" with one passport size photo affixed in the box.
  2. Fill in all the information correctly. Incomplete application will be returned without service.
  3. Original and one copy of identification pages of the passports of all the individuals.
  4. Copy of Proof of address (utility bill, driver license or lease agreement).
  5. Copy of valid Visa/Green Card for Indian citizens 
  6. Notice of intended marriage 
  7. Declaration by prospective bride and bridegroom in duplicat
  8. Sworn Affidavit by prospective bride and bridegroom in duplicate.
  9. Four identical, passport size, recent, photographs each of prospective bride and bridegroom.

After submission of notice of intended marriage, advertisement is to be published by the individuals in local English newspaper as well as English newspaper in the place of permanent residence indicated in the passport in India/concerned country. 

Three witnesses who were present at the time of submission of notice of intended marriage should be present at the time of marriage solemnization and registration.

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
90352 Answers
6615 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

 after marriage in indonesia you have to get the marriage certificate been hired by the embassy of indonesia for your wife and to get registration of your marriage in india you have to produce the document do the registrar of marriages in india and get your marriage registered based on the authenticated documents.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6849 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You need to apply as per foreign marriage Act in Indonesia. 

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28990 Answers
110 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

- If you want to registered your marriage in India , then this marriage is governed by the Special Marriage Act.

- But, if you intend to marry outside India; then it will governed by the Foreign Marriage Act.

- The Legal age for marriage in India for girls is 18 years and for boys, 21 years, the same rule extends to marriage with a foreign national, 

- If one partner is residing in the foreign country, the ‘Marriage Notice’ form has to be filled by the partner in India and also the partner in the foreign country, which has to be resubmitted by the partner in India to the Registration office.

-Before solemnizing your marriage, you should ensure that the following documents are ready:

  1. Birth certificates (for age proof)
  2. A valid visa of more than thirty days for the foreign national
  3. A single-status affidavit signed by both parties. In case one of the parties has married previously, the Divorce Decree (for divorcees) or Certificate of Death (for widowed) is necessary.
  4. Address proof and passport size photographs
  5. Adequate documentary evidence of 30-day residence in India
  6. A ‘no-objection’ letter – She may be required to present to the marriage officer a ‘no objection letter’ from the Indonesian Embassy or Consulate, as well as proof of termination of any previous marriage if any.
  7. The parties also have to wait at least 30 days from the date of initial application to formalize the marriage so that the marriage officer can publish a notice, which might even include a newspaper publication for giving an opportunity for any objections to the marriage to be voiced.
  8. A proof of religious marriage ceremony under Muslim Marriage Act, 

  1. Move an application in writing as per the format laid down in the Second Schedule. 

- Hence, you should move an application in the office of Marriage registrar of your jurisdiction for the same.

- Once the Marriage Officer has received such an application, duly signed by both the parties, the Officer shall then release a public notice with a period of 30 days to raise objections to the intended marriage if any. 

- If the conditions are duly fulfilled and no such objections are raised, it should enter a certificate of the marriage in the Marriage Certificate Book. Here, the signatures of both the intending parties as well as the witnesses are required.

- You should keep with you, Proof of Age , Address Proof , Affidavit with regard to Marital Status, and Passport size Photos.

- Further, you can apply online as well , and after submitting the application , you will be given time to appear before the Registrar of marriage.

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10840 Answers
136 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- It shall be registered under Special Marriage Act, rest post knowing the both residense status will be able to guide you better along with required documents and total time taking process.




Vivek Arya

Vivek Arya
Advocate, Gurgaon
763 Answers
6 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

See you can marry in Indonesia and then can register under Foreign marriage act. Your wife on ground of spouse can apply for the visa of India.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no restriction to marry the girl in Indonesia but you may approach the Indian embassy at Indonesia for getting married to her under the provisions of special marriage act and get married there by completing the requisite formalities as is required by Indian laws.

This will help you to apply for visa for her on the basis of your spouse 

The procedure for marriage under the special marriage act is lengthy, you may have to visit the office of the marriage registrar to know the entire details about it or can approach the Indian embassy at Indonesia for knowing the formalities in this regard.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
80523 Answers
1730 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


It is very simple. 

Get married anywhere. 

Venue Doesn't matter. 

Get the marriage registered with the authorities in India. 



Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5365 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Dear Client,

Please visit at https://jaswantkatariya.business.site

to know more.

Jaswant Singh
Advocate, Gurugram
929 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1. For settling in India your spouse need marriage certificate registered in Indonesia as marriage will be solemnised in Indonesia.

2. Then she can live with you on Visa in India as your spouse and after completion of seven years in India she can make application for registration of Citizenship of India.


Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10687 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Generally, Indonesian nationals, and persons of any other nationality may marry in Indonesia provided they hold a religion recognised by the Indonesian Government.

The girl has to obtain NOC from her concerned embassy for getting married in India. Rest other documents, such as date of birth and address proof along with passport.

Boy can file application for marriage under special marriage act along with relevant affidavits and documents and after 30 days the marriage will be performed.

Find out how to give notice to marry and which documents are required to get married and hold a wedding in Indonesia...

Indonesian marriage law states that a marriage is legitimate if it is performed according to the regulations of the religious beliefs of the husband and wife. Because religious law applies, requirements vary.

Offices in Indonesia authorised to perform marriages are:

  • Kantor Urusan Agama or local mosque for Muslims

  • Kantor Catatan Sipil - Civil Registry and a church or temple for a Christian, Hindu or Buddhist marriage

Both foreigner and Indonesian must meet the following requirements and produce the following documents:

  • If female, be 16 years or older; if male, be 19 years or older
  • Valid passport (for a foreigner)
  • Valid entry visa into Indonesia (for a foreigner) and a valid National Identification Card (Kartu Tanda Penduduk/KTP) for an Indonesian
  • Foreigner's birth certificate - original is preferred, otherwise a notarised photocopy; the applicable Consulate may need to provide written verification
  • Legal proof confirming the marital status of each person:

    • For the foreign national, a Letter of No Impediment to Marriage
    • For an Indonesian, marital status is declared on the National Identification Card (KTP)

  • For Indonesian women aged 16 to 21 and Indonesian men aged 18 to 21 - letters from both sets of parents or guardians stating there is no objection to the marriage
  • If the couple are both Christians, members of a church, and wish to be married in an Indonesian church, they need a letter of notification from their church
  • If one or both of the couple need to convert to Islam to be married according to Islamic Law, the marriage must be registered with the Religious Affairs Office (Kantor Urusan Agama) in their local area
  • If it is to be a Christian, Hindu or Buddhist marriage, the marriage must be reported and registered with the local Civil Registry (Kantor Catatan Sipil). Registration includes a preliminary Notice of Intention to Marry, ten days before the marriage is to take place, this period can be waived for tourists coming to Indonesia to marry
  • The marriage usually takes place in a church or temple first. After the ceremony, every non-Islamic marriage must be recorded at the Civil Registry (Kantor Catatan Sipil). There may be a fine if the marriage is not registered within a specific time frame (usually 60 days), check with the local Catatan Sipil for specific requirements
  • Two witnesses over the age of 18 must be present during the marriage ceremony. Photocopies of their National Identification Card (KTP) or foreign passport must be filed. Employees who work at the Civil Registration Office (Kantor Catatan Sipil) may act as witnesses

Letter of No Impediment to Marriage

Indonesian authorities require an official letter issued by a foreigner's home consulate which states that the foreigner has never been married, is divorced, or is a widow or widower.

Proving that a marriage has never taken place can be difficult and regulations depend on the foreigner's country of origin. Foreigners should consult their consulates.

Notice of Intention to Marry

When presenting a letter of Notice of Intention to Marry at the Civil Registry (Kantor Catatan Sipil), both partners must have the following original documents:

  • The Indonesian spouse's National Identification Card (KTP) and the foreign spouse's passport
  • Certified birth certificates
  • Certified final divorce decree or death certificates as regards termination of previous marriages (where applicable)
  • Four 4 x 6cm photos, both partners side by side
  • For the foreign spouse: The Letter of No Impediment to Marriage issued by the foreigner's consulate
  • For Indonesian citizens: a Letter of Certification of No Previous Marriages (Surat Keterangan Belum Kawin) from the mayor or village chief (Kepala Desa or Lurah), and a letter of parental consent for Indonesian women aged 16-21, and Indonesian men aged 18-21

Marriage Certificates

For non-Muslim marriages, expect a ten-day waiting period before a marriage certificate is available.

Islamic Marriage Certificates (Marriage Book or Buku Nikar) as issued by an Office of Religious Affairs (Kantor Urusan Agama) might be available in less time, and are usually valid throughout Indonesia and do not require registration with any other agency if the couple plans on living in Indonesia.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4952 Answers
27 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Marriage can solemnized at Indian Embassy. Certificate issued valid fro all purpose. Have to apply one month prior, 3 witnesses will require.

And long with customary marriage can also be done.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21487 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

after marriage you can register your marriage in Indian consulate at Indonesia under foreign marriage act, then she can stay with you in India. the whole process is must be follow through consulate only. After marriage consulate Indian embassy at Indonesia will guide you process. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19285 Answers
32 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

1. You may marry under Special Marriage Act.

2. A 30 day residency requirement has to be fulfilled, which means that either the bride or the groom has to be living in India for at least 30 days prior to filing the application to get married. For foreigners, this is evidenced by a certificate from the local police station or Copy of C Form or FRRO Registration copy accordingly.

3. Application for marriage has to be filed in the office of jurisdictional marriage registrar along with the residence certificate (i.e. proof of residence), certified copies of passports and birth certificates, and two passport sized photographs and few affidavits each.

4. If no objections to the marriage are received within 30 days of the filing of the application, a civil ceremony at the marriage registrar's office can then take place. Three witnesses are required, who have to provide passport sized photographs, as well as identification and proof of address. The marriage certificate is usually issued a couple of weeks after the wedding.

5. All she has to do right now is to come with her original Certificates on a Tourist Visa and post registration of Marriage convert it into "X" Visa.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Marry each other and she can come on a tourist Visa to India where she will have to fill out necessary paperwork for application for citizenship on account of marriage.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13966 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer