• Marriage certificate copy needed

I need a copy of my parents marriage certificate. They live with me in US and we need it for their paperwork processing. They got married in 1973 in West Bengal. How long does it take generally to get a copy that is old?
Asked 3 months ago in Family Law from United States
Religion: Hindu


Was there marriage registered ? 

Do you have a copy of the registration certificate ? 

You will have to provide the details and a lawyer after checking with the office of registrar can tell you whether the same is available or not? 



Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
16918 Answers
259 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to apply the same in sub registrar office of marriages.  They will issue you the same

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
12870 Answers
22 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

See if the marriage is registered and you have details of there.certificate you can engage a local advocate.to obtain certified copy of certificate it can take 2-3 weeks since record is old.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
19309 Answers
75 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

you need to contact a local lawyer to make application for issue of copy of marriage certificate from registrar office 


2) it may take more than a month to obtain the certificate 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
66916 Answers
4041 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,


- You can file the application with respective Municipal Corporation as MC has the charge to maintain the record of Death, Birth & Marriage of respective residents of City.

- Nowadays, all the requests are made through online E-Seva Kendra all across India. However, one has to file the application personally.

- However, with POA one can authorize another person to appear on one's behalf.




Vivek Arya

Vivek Arya
Advocate, Gurgaon
505 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It cannot be obtained by any lawyer, please get it straight.Last time, i myself tried for some1 who asked me from US. 

Either you seek it yourself by way of RTI or come in person to obtain it. Thats the new rule.

Aveek Bose
Advocate, Kolkata
950 Answers
4 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

You can apply in the Marriage Office under RTI's act where your parents got marriage registered. One can try to fill up form online as well.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
7474 Answers
65 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

you can apply the same through RTI by engaging one counsel,

you will get the same in 30-45 days,

if you need it in less time consult one local lawyer and approach registrar office,

he/she will manage 

Suneel Moudgil
Advocate, Panipat
1141 Answers
1 Consultation

4.3 on 5.0

1. First check whether they registered their marriage at all and if yes then under whom.

2. If they did not then register their marriage under Hindu Marriage Act now which is permissible and then get a original copy of marriage certificate. 

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
17808 Answers
252 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If their marriage was registered in the concerned registrar office   they may just give an application for that and can get it within a week. 

If it's not registered then they can prepare a notarized affidavit as per the format available with the notary public. 

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
56681 Answers
701 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You should engage a local lawyer to obtain the certified copy of it.

2. If the record still exists then it can be obtained in a week's time. 

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
26131 Answers
781 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

In their marriage is registered a copy of the marriage certificate can be applied in the registrar of marriages please find out an advocate who is looking practicing to get a copy of the marriage from the marriage registrar

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
5507 Answers
18 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

They will have to apply for a certified copy of the marriage certificate at the registrar office where their marriage was registered after payment of nominal fee.

You will get the copy within 1-2 weeks.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
4761 Answers
52 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Since their marriage was registered in the year 1973, it will be very difficult to trace back copy of the said certificate now.


2. However, you can try it by approaching the Marriage Registrar of the locality where your parents had registered their marriage.


3. The name of the Registrar and also the date of their registration of the marriage will be required to start the atempt to search the copy of their marriage certificate.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
22518 Answers
594 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist

if marriage was registered at that time then the certified copy of the certificate can be obtain within a week.

if not registered than they have to apply for registration of marriage and can get the certificate within a week, their personal presence is mandatory.


Feel Free to call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
5332 Answers
257 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

I don`t think such old record may be available. And if will find only entry in marriage registration register. Can get certify of it. 2 days thing.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
13207 Answers
17 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

you can apply for certified copy of marriage certificate at concern SRO. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
10211 Answers
3 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

A marriage that was solemnized in west Bengal must be registered in the sub registrar of marriages. The certificate can be obtained in 2 3 working days.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
4318 Answers
11 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client Following is the procedure for obtaining the copy of the marriage certificate:

  1. You need to obtain an appropriate application form of the duplicate marriage certificate. You can obtain the application form from municipal corporation office or marriage registration office.
  2. Next, after getting the application form, you need to fill in it all details correctly. The application form should not contain any wrong information otherwise the application will be rejected.
  3. Now you have to attach all documents with application form. The documents are required for applying for duplicate marriage certificate are given below.
  4. Submit application form along with all documents. They provide you with a receipt which is used for future reference.
    After this, you need to collect duplicate marriage certificate from office in which application is submitted.

List of Documents Required:

The documents are required at the time of applying for duplicate marriage certificate are as follows:

  • Application Form Duplicate Marriage Certificate
  • Proof of Marriage (copy of marriage certificate / receipt of registration / invitation card / photograph of marriage)
  • Identity proof of both bride and bridegroom (voter id card/driving license/passport / Adhaar card)
  • Two recent passport size photograph of bride and bridegroom

You can easily get a duplicate of it from either local registrar office local registrar office or online.

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
3531 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

  1. As per the information mentioned in the present query, makes it clear that you need the certified copy of the marriage certificate for some paper work.
  2. Yes, you can get the certified copy of the marriage certificate, but it depends upon the department.
  3. If it was court marriage then from there you can get it.
  4. If was in temple then from the office of the marriage registrar where they would have registered their marriage.
  5. If they didn’t register and was not happened in court then your parents will have to get it registered now by filing an affidavit in the registrar’s office with all proof of their marriage.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
4894 Answers
11 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer