• Can I put a Musilm name to my daughter using with my surname and my caste

I am SC (mala) boy married a minortiy( BC_E) women under special marriage act,1954 in kadapa district andhra pradesh. in ration card i mension my wife sur name.it was approved by government. after marriage i didn't change my wife cast and her sur name. Recently we have a baby girl. We are decided to put her a musilm name using with my Sur name. Is it possible? Any problems will occur in future about studies and cast. What will be the cast of my daughter? Kindly help me.
Asked 11 days ago in Family Law from Yerraguntla, Andhra Pradesh
Religion: Hindu

Yes there is no issue in that you can keep any name if your choice to her.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
6126 Answers
5 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1) Name you can give to your daughter as per your wish, her caste will remain accordingly to her father i.e. Your caste.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
6054 Answers
43 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Sir even if the name is muslim the caste and religion of girl shall be as per the caste and religion she  profess there won't be any issue in just the name. There is judgement which states that the caste is based on the way she is brought up as she is brought up in your caste in your family she shall be considered from your caste. 

Kindly go through the judgement


Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
13124 Answers
50 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your daughter can have Muslim name with your sur name 


2) there would be no problem in her studies 


3) daughter would take father caste 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
58473 Answers
3536 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can put any name as per your wish to your daughter. You can't change your wife's cast and sur name. Your daughters cast is considered as your cast.

Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
3082 Answers
59 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You are free to give your daughter a Muslim first name. Nothing stops you from doing so.

2. There cannot be any problems in her studies.

3. Giving her a Muslim name does not make her a Muslim if parents are not Muslims. She will get the caste of her father. 

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
25432 Answers
723 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It's perfectly legal to choose any name for your child

Netra Mohanchandra Pant
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
378 Answers
1 Consultation

4.7 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

First of all, names such as Reshma is not a Hindu name . It just an Indian word. If you like you are free to use it .

I have seen Christian  girls with name like Reshma. Heck, I even know of a Christian girl whose first name is Amrita, which has its origin from Hindu myth. Yet  as  Amrita means 'An elixir of Immortality'  , it is fine to use such names as well.

So chances of inter-religious marriage would be very small for such a name to arise , unless the first name is something like Sita, Lakshmi, Saraswati, Parvathi etc. that is  clearly taken from Hindu religion.

Your child will belongs to which cast you choose either father or mother.

In a judgment defining the right of children born out of inter-caste marriages, the Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that the benefits of affirmative action or reservation could not be denied to a person born to a scheduled caste or scheduled tribe mother merely because the father belonged to the upper caste

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
1730 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no such law, which bans the parents from giving other religion names to their kids.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
5502 Answers
3 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

  1. As per the information mentioned in the presnet query, makes it clear that it is only the name that you wish to put as a Muslim name, but do not want her to change he religion.
  2. As religion of your child would be the one in which she has been brought till she attains the age of majority.
  3. Now, if the parents are of two different religion then the child would have religion which has been mutually decided between the partners.
  4. Thereafter, she can decide her religion once she attains the age of majority.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
3416 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- Yes, you can give her a Muslim name/Surname as per your wish and decision and further your baby girl will not face any problem in her studies with that name. 

- But, that name/surname will not change her entity i.e. her religion.

- Her religion will be yours and not her mother , until you will embrace that other religion.

- Hence, your caste will also go with her and she will considered as SC(MALA) and accordingly she will be benefited as per law of the land.


Good Luck and dont forget to positive rating ....

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
274 Answers
9 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


1) The daughter(baby girl)  will belong to the caste of Father only.  So even if you use a muslim name with your surname, your daughter will continue to have your caste only. 

2) Ideally baby girl's Surname should be the same as Father's surname as it is customary for the children to adopt their father's surname(i.e the children belong to father's paternal family and not mother's paternal family) 

3) Since your marriage was under special marriage act, there is no need for the mother to change her religion or surname and as such she can have the same surname before and after marriage. 

Hope this information is useful. 


Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
1589 Answers
231 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can name your daughter as per your own will and wish which has an approval by your wife and other close relatives.

No law can prevent you from naming your child as per your own desire, hence you can proceed as per your wish.

The child can either opt your caste and religion or her mother's caste and religion provided her mother has not =converted to Hinduism.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
48555 Answers
576 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer