• Change of fathers surname

My father,s surname is mentioned wrong on my 10th and 12th certificates. 
Father's surname is correct on all my id documents and birth certificate.

I have cleared my 10th in 2007.

Now I want to know whether I need to change those certificates or affidavit with newspaper add is sufficient as surname of my father is correct on all my ID documents like Pan card, aadhar and voter id, passport
Asked 5 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

17 Answers

You would need court orders to rectify the mistake in your father surname

2) school board would not correct the mistake after 12 years

3) mere affidavit would not suffice

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89763 Answers
6500 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) Yes, you have to apply for change in surname via government gazette and government will give notice in advertisement in the newspaper.

2) And you have to submit in future every where in the office you require. Get it done as per birth certificate.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12620 Answers
205 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Mere affidavit and newspaper ad would not be sufficient

You have to correct surname in your school records

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89763 Answers
6500 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please file a declaratory suit that the surname mentioned in your certificates are wrong. Sometimes affidavit and news paper publication is sufficient but authority may not change same if there is direction from court to change name of father the authority will do it without much hassles.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You should contact with respective board to change it or else you have to make an affidavit by First class JM.

Hope this helps.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2951 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

News paper add are the best way to change name and all but since your marksheet is concerned you need to send a letter of updation to the concerned board of 10th 12th if they can issue fresh certificate else your work is done since you have informed them

Later at any stage u face a problem get a writ period filed in high court against the board and u will get the relief

Amol Chitravanshi
Advocate, Delhi
279 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

Hi, you can change the sirname by executing a affidavit and getting it attested by the tehsildar

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4627 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Just an affidavit will do, and you didn't even need a newspaper publication.

At anytime you face an inconvenience due to this discrepancy and the affidavit furnished by you this regard is not entertained, file a writ and get a direction against concerned Board to correct your father's name and issued fresh certificate s.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, Lucknow
9444 Answers
255 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


No it is not sufficient ,you should be applied for a change in your school records,present a application there and ask them to change the surname of your father in records.

Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

No, that won’t work in your case but yes would have worked if you were to change anything in your document.

But, again the position is in your favour if you first do the affidavit plus advertisement, and then apply for the change in the same or get it undertaking by the head of the each concerned department.

Rest can consult me through Kanoon for detail procedure.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5468 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You will not be able to cahnge his surname in the 10th certificate at this stage.

The option before you is that you can go for change of name application as per procedural law in this regard.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79930 Answers
1670 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir, I dont want to correct surname in those certificates as I know its a cumbersome process. I just want to know whether in future in case of any trouble, I can produce affidavit and newspaper ad with those certificates and along with my correct ID Documents

Yes the notarized affidavit and newspaper publication to this effect shall be sufficient documentary evidence to prove your father's correct surname.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79930 Answers
1670 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Kindly tell from which board you passed 10 and 12 as in case of cbse there is limitation.

There can be a Affidavit and newspaper publication to the effect that the name was printed wrong this is correct name and shall be deemed same in those certificates mention number.

Then send these documents with an application and requisite fee with board if board changes it's good or if denies due to limitation the affidavit and publication will not do you have to file a declaratory suit with other documents with Judicial magistrate first class directing change in name and that the wrong name is printed in marksheets.

You need court order mere affidavit won't do.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can make an affidavit and notarized the same. You can try to get the name rectified from the said board by showing the said affidavit and original correct certificate.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28537 Answers
100 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Yes, you can produce the affidavit if any issues arise relating to your father's surname.

Bindu Gogoi
Advocate, Guwahati
75 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

just get an affidavit declaring that the name as mentioned in ID and the certificate is same and is of one person only.

Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17968 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no need for you get the surname corrected in the mark sheets

Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17968 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer