• Sale of plot thorough registered GPA

I am Planning to buy a plot in a gram panchayat lay out near Hyderabad. The owner of the land who has bought it in 2002 is an NRI now and is settled abroad. The owner has bought this from the developer of the layout. They are our family Friends and a good family, The owner wants to sell the property and as he is not available in India, he has given a GPA (Dated 2014) to his own sister a blood relative and it clealry mentions the Details of the land and gives right to GPA holder to sell it. This GPA is registered in cochin, a different place from that of the property ( As they are from that city). We have agreed on terms of sale but my doubt is would there be any problem in this sale as it is going to be the GPA holder who is going to execute the sale deed. Though the GPA holder is blood relative and GPA is registered, Will I face any problems now or in future in this transaction.Also Please advise as GPA is registered in some other state and would there be any issue. Please advise
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

11 Answers

Once GPA is executed duly stamped and registered then sister can execute sale deed on behalf of her brother

2) since sister is residing in Cochin GPA can be registered in Cochin

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87938 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Registered GPA is valid and legal. No you will not face any problems.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27267 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0


If a GPA is registered and duly stamped, the GPA holder has the power to execute the sale deed. So You are safe and not face any problem in future.

Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Since the GPA is registered and if it is executed in favour of blood relative you can very well purchase property. Just verify the clauses of GPA whether it gives power to execute sale deed or any to enter into sale agreement.

Registering GPA in other place will not affect it's value. Just ensure that they have clear.title and possession of property before entering into a registered sale deed with them. Get all documents scrutinised by local lawyer of your district and get encumbrance certificate verified if any.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, As the GPA is registered one and there is a Sale Clause, which authorized the Attorney to Sell the Schedule Property so you can purchase the property through GPA.

Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
5396 Answers
310 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You can go ahead with this transaction and enter into a sale deed, with the owner being represented through hiS POWER of attorney holder.

The fact that GPA is registered in a city/place other where this property is situated doesn't makes any difference.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The GPA deed can be registered in other state also for a property situated in a different state.

There should not be any problem for execution of registered sale deed by GPA holder in favor of the buyer on behalf of the principal, provided a life certificate of the principal is obtained from his own country.,

The life certificate to be attested by a notary of that country.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78096 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. If the GPA is a registered one , given to the near relative of the Principal and is not revoked in the meantime then sale on it basis suffers from no infirmity.

2. So on the date of registration bring a e-mail confirmation from the owner that the GPA is still valid and is not revoked till this date . That would be enough to protect your interest.

3. To be on the safe side you may make a newspaper advertisement before the date of registration of sale deed.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hello Good Morning,

No , there should notbe any problem.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2941 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0


The Registered GPA holder can execute the sale deed for and on behalf of her brother who is now settled abroad.

Also under Indian laws, a GPA can be registered in any state.

Also try to get a written confirmation from the owner (he can get the written confirmation notarised overseas) that he has consented to the sale of the property through his Registered GPA.

Hope this information is useful.

Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
2169 Answers
394 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


There will be no problem if the land is sold through the GPA holder.

GPA is registered and as such you will not face any problem.

Main thing is you know those people and therefore I do not think that there will be any problem.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer