• In laws issue

Hi I live with my husband n he has a joint family I Have no issues with my husband n my father in law but his one of his chacha is a biggest problem he is mentally harassing me my husband n my father in law to leave the house... He even abuse us every day ask for money against house tax rent for staying in house.. Even threatening us for filing a false police complaint... He even beats others family members in the family n abuse them n not only this he is a doctor by profession he has been thrown out of his several job due to same behaviour at work... Im not able to understand what to do its give me so much of mental harassment when he abuse us I feel like committing suicide pls help
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

5 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

17 Answers

As it is a joint family, you don't have options. You may have to get rid of the house to avoid chacha. Other points raised by you can be tackled if he does any such acts.

Rajaganapathy Ganesan
Advocate, Chennai
2085 Answers
8 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1) your father in law should file suit for partition for division of property by metes and bounds

2) if he abuses, threatens your husband and FIL they can file police complaint against him for criminal intimidation under section 506 of IPC

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87947 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


I understand the situation you are facing. The way out is to file a police complaint against the chacha.

Take recordings of such evidences being placed by him and thereafter approach the police.

You will also have to consult your husband and father in law before proceeding.


you may also file a partition suit claim your share (your husband and father in law's) in the property and start living separately.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, if he abuses or provide physical harassment to you agian , you can provide a police complaint for 354 and 506 IPC ... Also file a complaint for domestic violence against him in court .. Once a complaint is given , he will fall in line with his behaviour .. For further doubts you can get Back to me .. Thank you

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Threatening abusing are criminal offence under Indian penal code under section 506 Criminal Intimidation a compliant or an FIR for same can be filed with local police.

Also you are a women and any such act of abusing or threat against you specific complaint for same can be made under section 509 and 354 IPC for sexually coloured remarks and outraging modesty.

Section 509 in The Indian Penal Code

509. Word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman.—Whoever, intending to insult the modesty of any woman, utters any word, makes any sound or gesture, or exhibits any object, intending that such word or sound shall be heard, or that such gesture or object shall be seen, by such woman, or intrudes upon the privacy of such woman, shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine, or with both.

Also if the property is a joint property than your father in law can file for partition in the court.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) The house you stay is on whose name or who has purchased this property or is it ancestral property.

2) Please provide family tree, who stands where and which rank he holds in the family and your father in law.

3) You can file case against him for mental harassment and torturing whole family etc.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12338 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Very simple please visit the nearest police station and file FIR for harassment against him if property belongs to the the family and everyone has the share in that then no personal can tell you leave the house.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Immediately file a complaint under the Domestic Violence Act against this chacha.

You must be silently taking the mental and phyisacl harassment that is being meted out to you at the hand of this chacha.

Contact a local lawyer to file the above complaint.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please approach the local police station as and when he abuses or beats anyone up. Give all the details about his professional background, as mentioned in the question. Ask the police to take appropriate action.

Mohd Abdul Gaffar
Advocate, Hyderabad
8 Answers

4.4 on 5.0

File police complain.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

File Police complaint for harassment and mental agony and also if he is behaving in manner not proper then file under Section 354 of IPC.

Your problem will be solved.

Ravi Kumar Singh
Advocate, Patna
52 Answers
2 Consultations

4.0 on 5.0

Please file a criminal complaint with jurisdiction police station. And if the property is joint family property take others into confidence and file a suit for partition and seperate possession of schedule property.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

I have come across many cases like this. There are some incidents that happen in your life and those incidents are so strong that they change you DNA. It is unfortunate that you, your husband and your father in law is trapped by the misdeeds of Chacha. You, your husband and your father in law have a right to live with peace and with happiness.

I can understand you problem. Mental harassment can break you and damage you forever. Chacha in your case is responsible for all the misdeeds and he should be punished for that. He has no right to beat you and mentally torture you.

All the family members who are facing the issue should immediately lodge a police complaint against him the nearest police station in Delhi narrating the entire situation you are going through. Police will definitely take action against the Doctor (Chacha).

Please don't give up. Fight for you rights. I am sure you will get justice. Never give up. Suicide doesn't take away the pain; it gives it to someone else. Pain is temporary. Suicide is permanent. I repeat don't do it.

I can help you. You can talk to me for further clarification.




Shri Gopal Verma
Advocate, New Delhi
312 Answers
5 Consultations

4.0 on 5.0

You can file complaint of domestic violence against him in the court of law with the help of any local good advocate.

Laksheyender Kumar
Advocate, Delhi
734 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Dear Madam,

Nothing to bother. If you can with the assistance of your husband and your father-in-law file a 498 case against your Chacha only. Your husband and your father-in-law must teach him a lesson by asking him to go outside the house. Even police complaint can be lodged against him for all his nonsense. Nothing to worry about him, consider him as a stranger to your family and deal with him individually.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

File a case of harrassment and domestic violence against him. He will be taken care by the police.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27273 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

There are legal remedies to all such types of nuisances.

Your husband or father in law can lodge a police complaint.

You also can lodge a complaint with the police for the mental harassment, abuses, outraging the modesty, cruelties etc.

You can talk to your husband and find out a solution by consulting a local lawyer

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78104 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer