• Lost divorce letter

My sister got divorced 12 years back from family court visakhapatnam but somehow lost the divorce letter. We have reached couple of concerned lawyers and they are saying that they are able to find the register having signatures of both parties and case number but the document is not found in old document lots . Is there any way to get a duplicate document or proof or court proof.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

18 Answers

You can take certified copies of the order from.court by making an application in.concerned.courts copying department and paying requisite fees.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) your sister can apply for certified copy of divorce decree if she had case number ,year ,name of parties

2) in alternative contact ex husband and request him to give you a copy of divorce decree in his possession

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87947 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

In most of the courts there is a system of destroying the case records after 5 ears from the date of its disposal.

So ti appears in the case of your sister also the case record has been destroyed and if that is so then the fresh certified copy of the decree of divorce becomes impossible.

However there is nothing to lose heart on this as there is a system of keeping a register wherein the jsit of the final order of every case has been kept which is never destryed.

So file a Information Slip seeking information as regards the final order of the divorce case number. The court on receipt of the said query will supply an official information regarding passing of decree of divorce of your sister on the particular date.

This remains only option left for your sister regarding official proof of her divorce.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, the case file of the court would be in the record room and if you know the date of case decision, apply for the certified copy of the order/judgment. You may get the same

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Its not a divorce letter, its a divorce decree , i suppose, i am sure you must have a xerox copy or photocopy of the same, if yes, attach the same and send a RTI letter to the court, within 30 days they are bound to reply, or if you have the case number or case details send RTI application

Aveek Bose
Advocate, Kolkata
1222 Answers
9 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Since you have received the case number and register where you both put the signature, you personally contact the concerned official and create his interest and get located your file in your presence. You may apply the certified copy by putting the case number. Be positive and in case the record is not destroyed, you will get your file.

Dalip Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
1040 Answers
36 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) You have to check in the same court from where the order or decree has been passed in that registered you will get. If you remember date or month and year, so try to visit personally and ask clerk or peon in that court and search personally with help of clerk / peon of the court.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12338 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


Apply for the copy of letter from the court...

If the required document is not on the file then you can apply for the recommendation from the family court in written about your requirement.

Thank you

Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5365 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

- Most of the state has passed a resolution to destroy the court files after a complete period of 10 years from the date of final decree of the case.

- But before destroying the said files , earlier manually and now digital copy has been kept for future purposes.

- Specially the final decree & other important documents of the files kept in record.

Hence, if you even dont have the photo copy of the said lost divorce decree of the court , then you should to take help from the court staff of the family court of your jurisdiction .

Court staff will provide you diary number of that case and after using the said given number , you should apply for the certified copy from the court without taking any approval from the court.

your sisters presence is not necessary for getting the same from the court . You can also apply on her behalf after giving details of the case .

This certified copy has same value like the original lost one.

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
9905 Answers
121 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It is not 'divorce letter', it is called 'divorce decree. Be that as it may, your sister can obtain a certified copy of the decree from the said court. The file of the said case must still have been preserved in the record room of the court. Look for some other lawyer to find it out.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30761 Answers
971 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist

first of you have to search the case details along with case no and date of decision and then file the certified copy of the same, the whole process take one week time, contact a lawyer in your area.

Feel Free to call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6220 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


Going by the contents of your post, it is understood that, the Advocates whom you approached could locate the register having signature of both parties and case number.

Based on the same, you can make an application under Civil Rules of Practice and other relevant enactments for obtaining the certified copies of the same.

The records will be destroyed after three years. In your case, at least there is a record which shows the case details, as such, you can make an application through local Advocate for obtaining the certified copy.

They should be able to help you.

Good Luck.

S Srinivasa Prasad
Advocate, Hyderabad
2876 Answers
9 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Normally Court preserves its records for years together. Thus there are chances of getting certified copy of orders passed by the Court in respect of divorce and consequent certified copy of divorce letter. If you are unable to get such certified copy of divorce then you can rely upon other public records to show that your sister got legal divorce. It appears the ex-husband has no issue in respect of divorce of your sister.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Hi, if you have case no . the. Certified copy of divorce decree can be obtained from the court ..

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Dear Client,

Normally, records of court files are destroyed after final disposal of case after few years.

In all courts, registered use to be maintain, in which case details and fill result is recorded.

Get certify of the same if actual case record has been destroyed.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

You can apply for certified copy of the divorce decree order and judgment, the court will provide you without fail at least by constructing the missing documents.

You can talk to some other lawyer if this lawyer is not cooperating.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78104 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If they have got the case number etc. already, ask them to apply for a certified copy of the divorce decree.

See as to what happens after the certified copy is applied for.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Certified copy of the order can only be obtained from the court.

Ask your lawyer to apply for the same and thereafter it will be the duty of the court to provide you the certified copy of the divorce order.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer