• Harassment by mother in law

Hello, right from the day one of my marriage my mother in law is harassing me. She on competition with my father in law got his son married. My father in law was preferring a north indian daughter in law, while she wanted south indian daughter in law. After the marriage, i was close to my father in law because he was on right path which she didnt like. She used to inform some of her relatives right from small child of 3rd std girl to 70 years lady not to talk to me. She bribes some servants, cook and others in helping out to harass me. When i was not feeling well before the diagnosis of phylonepritis she was telling the servant see how long she sleeps. While doing some puja she passes some comments also. Now she is not giving proper food because of which I am feeling weakness. Also am a juvenile diabetics. A year and half back she used to add ghee in my food which i was not supposed to have. In spite of telling her she was doing the same thing as a result I have cholestorol now. I have to take tablets life long because of her. I am feeling helpless. Can you help me in this battle?
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Your case falls under harassment by in laws, for which you can lodge a complaint with the jurisdictional police and thereafter a petition under the Domestic violence act against your mother in law, the law will take its course.
Your husband is good to you in these circumstances, then talk to him and suggest leaving separately from your in laws. This could solve major problems you are facing.
Where does your husband stand in all this? Does he not support you? As of now there is nothing which you can do under the law. The issue has to be resolved by you within social parameters. DV Act does not come into play at this stage. You should talk to your husband about the misery you are facing so that he can attempt to convince his mother to mend her ways. If she does not pay heed to it then it will be in your interest to move along with your husband out of the house.
Hi, lodge police complaint against your mother in law before the womens'  police station and also filed an application under Domestic violence act, from your narration it is not known to us whether you have informed all these things to your husband, what is his reaction ? how he could he respond ............ if you willing to inform all these things then we can suggest u what steps you have to take  legally.
do not go for any legal action at this stage as this could spoil the possibilities of any reconciliation with your mother in law.Have you discussed this matter with you husband.what does he has to say on this.kindly let me know that .
pls understand that your problem is not a unique problem,,it is very common problem and happens in most of the joint families.is is good that your husband stands by you.in this i will not advise you to go for any legal solution.it is a matter of time,you will come up with this.i am sure that you can easily win this battle.be patient
you have to start preparing your own food . dont rely upon servants or food that your mother in law makes . concentrate on eating fruits . get your diet planned by dietican . refuse to react to your mother in law constant criticism . go for long walks . it will help you in reducing your sugar level in body and control your cholestrol levels . 

since your husband and father in law are supporting you let them make it clear to your mother in law not to interfere in the kitchen when you are cooking your own food
You have to seek a redressal of your problem socially and not legally. It requires a deft handling. Legally there is nothing which can be done.
Hi, based on your narration we will advice you accordingly........... so it is better you can solve your problem with in family.
File a domestic violence case against her.
if you want peace of mind walk out of your matrimonial home . request your husband to arrange alternative accommodation . forget about the property . your health is far more important . if your husband does not agree  file for divorce and move on in life
in this you can only try for shifting yourself from that enviroment  with the help of your husband.
You said, "Due to some settlement of property, we are not able to move out of this place."

I want to advice you that your family, your life and good health is much more important than property settlement. 

Your first priority should be to protect your family and health, and leading happy family life. Do not connect it with property matters. With regard to the property matter, take legal help. 

Your main problem is you are mixing your family and property issue together. Deal with it separately. 

Best of luck.
contact a lawyer along with all documents or contact a marriage counselor to resolve the issues.
 amicably
You do not have, according to your own statement of facts, any proof of her practicing black magic. In this view of the matter any case filed by you against her will not stand in a court of law. So it will be futile going to court.

All I can suggest to you is to walk along with your husband out of the matrimonial house. You need to reconcile the issue of proprietary rights with your personal well being. If you or your husband have any rights in the property in which you are residing the same may be enforced even after you walk out of the house.
never bow down to such threats . let her consume poison . you cannot at point of gun be forced to sell property . no need to execute agreement for sale . it would be better for you also to consult a psychiatrist . take professional help in resolving your crisis
Lodge a police complaint after consulting in depth with your lawyer. Your husband should remain unfazed by such emotional blackmail aimed at emasculating his rights.
that is not your problem