• Parent's spelling mistake in birth certificate

My father's and mother's name has the wrong spelling in my Birth Certificate. I'm currently residing in Chennai and I was born in Vishakapatnam (and that's where I got my Birth Certificate.)
With the wrong spellings, I can't apply for Passport now. My father expired 10 years ago. 

I can't go to Vishakapatnam Municipality office to change the name. 

What are the other options that I can do now?  That too in Chennai.
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Religion: Hindu
Hi, you can file a suit in chennai, for corrections in spelling mistakes and you have to make municipal corporation as a party defendant and so you can correct your parents spelling mistake.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4451 Answers
197 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

1) application will have to be made in Vishakapatnam only 

2) Sec 30 (2) (l) read with sec 15 of central act (Registartion of Births and Deaths Act, 1969),  confers power to state government to make rules for corrections of entries relating to births 

3) you have to  apply to Registrar of Births in Vishakapatnam for rectifying errors in your birth  certificate .
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
40294 Answers
2288 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. An application will have to be made to Registrar of Births and Deaths in Vishakapatnam for correction along with a notarized affidavit containing the correct name of your parents. You will have to annex identity proof of your parents like Aadhar card or Ration card or Pan card where their name is spelt correctly.

2. The process cannot be initiated in Chennai. It can be done only in Vishakapatnam.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22654 Answers
609 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) Unfortunately you will need to go to Vishakapatanam  to get your job done.The Birth Certificate is a very important document and is issued by the registrar of births and deaths.
2) Therefore you will need to make an application to the same authority with an affidavit detailing the corrections sought and other document like your school certificates that bear the name that is correct, or make a mention of what name you want it to be.
3) You also need to produce documents showing your relation to your parents and a copy of the existing Birth Certificate along with the original.
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
2197 Answers
104 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The process cannot be take place in Chennai and you  will have to make an application in Vishakapatnam municipal corporation thereby stating the change sought in the birth certificate.
Sudershani Ray
Advocate, New Delhi
192 Answers
39 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. In this case you shall have to file an application at Visakapatanam before the Registrar of birthhs and death for the said correction,

2. Once it is completed then you can apply for your passport.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
16743 Answers
409 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Execute a Power of Attorney in favour of a person who visit the vishakhapatnam and file the application for corrections in certificate.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4550 Answers
208 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer