• Live in relationship follows suicide

A unmarried man is in a live in relationship with a unmarried woman for 2 years. They live in a rented house as husband and wife after commitment for marriage. Now the woman dumps the man leading to his social embarrassment. The man is tempted to commit suicide. Is there any law which governs this kind of relationship issues when women abuses men?
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Kolkata, West Bengal
Religion: Hindu
Sorry, under the legal provisions currently in force in india the man can do nothing in this situation.
i would say that the man should consider himself lucky that while duping him the lady did not lodge any police complaint or ask ofr maintenance as she had that opportunity in which the man would have been assaulted from both sides.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
11988 Answers
153 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no provision for live in relationship however there are case laws that suggest that if the society considers due to the action and behaviour that the man and woman are husband and wife, then due to continuous relation of 2 years, they will be considered as husband and wife.
Shaveta Chaudhary (Sanghi)
Advocate, Chandigarh
830 Answers
62 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, as the man and wife are living as husband and wife eventhough they are not married and they are deemed to be husband and wife and they can settle the matter amicably and register their marriage or else both of them in trouble.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4463 Answers
202 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

1. The moot question to be decided at the outset is, what relief will the man seek from the court?

2. A suit for damages does not lie as nobody can be ordered to pay damages for ending a relationship even in the most abrupt manner. A commitment of marriage is not an irreversible promise. The promisor can refuse to honour the promise of marriage at any time due to supervening circumstances.

3. However, if the woman abuses man then the latter can file a police complaint against the former.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22950 Answers
623 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you are fortunate that your partner has not filed DV case against you . had she done so as live in partner she could have claimed right to stay in matrimonial home or alternative accommodation . 

2) she could also have sought maintenance . for period of 5 years you would have been running around court . 

3) your best option is to forget her and move on in life . 

4) there is no need to commit suicide . if you are depressed consult a psychiatrist 

5) there is no law which would grant you any relief .
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
42771 Answers
2470 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. No law on the earth can force anybody to enter into a relationship or continue with a relationship with another person, if he/she does not wish to,

2. A man also can not be forced to stay in a relationship with another woman in similar case with a difference that in case of a woman complainant, she can allege domestic violence, having S*X with the promise of marriage amounting to rape etc.,claiming huge amount of damage and also maintenance,

3. You are lucky that she has spared you from the above assaults.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
17595 Answers
431 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist

there is no law in india in favour of the Men..Live-in-relationship is legal in india and without the interference of court and society any partner of live in left to other at any time as he/she think fit and proper for her/his life.

nobody can restrain him/her.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4708 Answers
215 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Indra Sarma vs V.K.V.Sarma, supreme court has held that lady being live-in-relationship is entitled to get maintenance and claim of remedies under DV act and all protection shall be given to the woman as she is his wife. there is no remedy for man who is in live-in-relationship because court may presumed that man is in dominant position.
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
4820 Answers
77 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer