• Divorce laws

I'm a 32 year old man. On what grounds can my wife give me divorce? After she gives me divorce, which conditions do she have to meet for me to pay her alimony?
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Bengaluru, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
1. The grounds are cruelty, adultery, desertion, incurable disease and renunciation of world. 

2. Before or after divorce she  can disqualify herself from alimony only if she is self sufficidnt, commits adultery.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1)wife can file for divorce on any of the grounds recognised by HMA

2)wife can file for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty

3)court would award  wife alimony depending upon husband income, wife income , years of marriage 

4) it is at discretion of the court 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45700 Answers
2688 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There are different options
1st option 
 You both should agree and go for a Mutual consent divorce which iwlll end your marriage in 6 months time.
The procedure is you both have to file a joint petition seeking divorce of incompatibility reasons.
Both can have one lawyer too.
The terms of divorce regarding maintenance, alimony or custody of children if any etc can be decided and agreed between you both before the filing of the petition and the same terms can be added to the joint petition as "Consent Terms". In this terms you can decide the mode of payment either through bank transfer or any other mode of  Payment or a one time payment of certain amount.
Your lawyer will help you with the same, just to tell the lawyer  your requirements .

2nd option either of you can file for an independent/unilateral  divorce on ground of cruelty, desertion or adultery depending on the facts of your case , opposite party will be summoned and trial will take place . the divorce will be decided on the merit of the case/evidence .Then court will direct the payment of maintenance if any 
During the trial of the independent divorce petition any time before the order you can settle the matter through a mediation/counselling form the court and end the dispute through a petition for mutual consent divorce by converting the existing petition.
She doesn't have to meet you for maintenance or alimony
Thresiamma G. Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1515 Answers
134 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Petition for divorce can be filed by your wife if you are married for more than 1 year on the following grounds:- 
1. If you have had voluntarily intercourse with another woman
2.If you have deserted her for more than 2 yrs. 
3.On the grounds of cruelty i.e metal or physical. 
4. In case you are suffering from incurable disease or is of unsound mind. 
However , onus of proving her allegations will lie on your wife against you. 
5. As regards alimony or maintenance , the quantum or otherwise will be decided by the court based on various factors I.e your earnings,her earnings if any etc etc. 
Sushil Jha
Advocate, Patna
260 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist
As per section 13 of Hindu Marriage Act-1955 she may file a divorce case against you before the family court

13 Divorce. ?
(1) Any marriage solemnised, whether before or after the commencement of this Act, may, on a petition presented by either the husband or the wife, be dissolved by a decree of divorce on the ground that the other party?
16 [(i) has, after the solemnisation of the marriage, had voluntary sexual intercourse with any person other than his or her spouse; or]
16 [(ia) has, after the solemnisation of the marriage, treated the petitioner with cruelty; or]
16 [(ib) has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition; or]
(ii) has ceased to be a Hindu by conversion to another religion; or
17 [(iii) has been incurably of unsound mind, or has been suffering continuously or intermittently from mental disorder of such a kind and to such an extent that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent.
Explanation .?In this clause,?
(a) the expression ?mental disorder? means mental illness, arrested or incomplete development of mind, psychopathic disorder or any other disorder or disability of mind and includes schizophrenia;
(b) the expression ?psychopathic disorder? means a persistent disorder or disability of mind (whether or not including sub-normality of intelligence) which results in abnormally aggressive or seriously irresponsible conduct on the part of the other party, and whether or not it requires or is susceptible to medical treatment; or]
(iv) has 18 [***] been suffering from a virulent and incurable form of leprosy; or
(v) has 18 [***] been suffering from venereal disease in a communicable form; or
(vi) has renounced the world by entering any religious order; or
(vi) has not been heard of as being alive for a period of seven years or more by those persons who would naturally have heard of it, had that party been alive; 19 [***] 20 [ Explanation. ?In this sub-section, the expression ?desertion? means the desertion of the petitioner by the other party to the marriage without reasonable cause and without the consent or against the wish of such party, and includes the wilful neglect of the petitioner by the other party to the marriage, and its grammatical variations and cognate expressions shall be construed accordingly.] 21 [***]
22 [(1A) Either party to a marriage, whether solemnised before or after the commencement of this Act, may also present a petition for the dissolution of the marriage by a decree of divorce on the ground?
(i) that there has been no resumption of cohabitation as between the parties to the marriage for a period of 22 [one year] or upwards after the passing of a decree for judicial separation in a proceeding to which they were parties; or
(ii) that there has been no restitution of conjugal rights as between the parties to the marriage for a period of 22 [one year] or upwards after the passing of a decree for restitution of conjugal rights in a proceeding to which they were parties.]
(2) A wife may also present a petition for the dissolution of her marriage by a decree of divorce on the ground,?
(i) in the case of any marriage solemnised before the commencement of this Act, that the husband had married again before such commencement or that any other wife of the husband married before such commencement was alive at the time of the solemnisation of the marriage of the petitioner: Provided that in either case the other wife is alive at the time of the presentation of the petition; or
(ii) that the husband has, since the solemnisation of the marriage, been guilty of rape, sodomy or 23 [bestiality; or]
24 [(iii) that in a suit under section 18 of the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1956 (78 of 1956), or in a proceeding under section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974) [or under the corresponding section 488 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 (5 of 1898)], a decree or order, as the case may be, has been passed against the husband awarding maintenance to the wife notwithstanding that she was living apart and that since the passing of such decree or order, cohabitation between the parties has not been resumed for one year or upwards; or
25 [(iv) that her marriage (whether consummated or not) was solemnised before she attained the age of fifteen years and she has repudiated the marriage after attaining that age but before attaining the age of eighteen years.]
Explanation. ?This clause applies whether the marriage was solemnised before or after the commencement of the Marriage Laws (Amendment) Act, 1976 (68 of 1976)*.] State Amendment Uttar Pradesh: In its application to Hindus domiciled in Uttar Pradesh and also when either party to the marriage was not at the time of marriage a Hindu domiciled in Uttar Pradesh, in section 13?
(i) in sub-section (1), after clause (i) insert (and shall be deemed always to have been inserted) the following clause, namely:? ?(1a) has persistently or repeatedly treated the petitioner with such cruelty as to cause a reasonable apprehension in the mind of the petitioner that it will be harmful or injurious for the petitioner to live with the other party; or?, and ?(viii) has not resumed cohabitation after the passing of a decree for judicial separation against that party and?
(a) a period of two years has elapsed since the passing of such decree, or
(b) the case is one of exceptional hardship to the petitioner or of exceptional depravity on the part of other party; or
(ii) for clause (viii) (since repealed in the principal Act) substitute (and shall be deemed to have been substituted) following clause, namely:?

[ Vide Uttar Pradesh Act 13 of 1962, sec. 2 (w.e.f. 7-11-1962)].
(i) Cruelty which is a ground for dissolution of marriage may be defined as wilful and unjustifiable conduct of such character as to cause danger to life, limb or health, bodily or mental, or as to give rise to a reasonable apprehension of such a danger. The question of mental cruelty has to be considered in the light of the norms of marital ties of the particular society, to which the parties belong, their social values, status, environment in which they live. Cruelty need not be physical. If from the conduct of the spouse it is established or an inference can be legitimately drawn that the treatment of the spouse is such that it causes apprehension in the mind of the other spouse, about his or her mental welfare then this conduct amounts to cruelty; Maya Devi v. Jagdish Prasad, AIR 2007 SC 1426.
(ii) Making false allegations against husband of having illicit relationship and extramarital affairs by wife in her written statement constitute mental cruelty of such nature that husband cannot be reasonably asked to live with wife. Husband is entitled to decree of divorce; Sadhana Srivastava v. Arvind Kumar Srivastava, AIR 2006 All 7.
(iii) The expression ?Cruelty? as envisaged under section 13 of the Act clearly admits in its ambit and scope such acts which may even cause mental agony to aggrieved party. Intention to be cruel is not an essential element of cruelty as envisaged under section 13 (1) (ia) of the Act. It is sufficient that if the cruelty is of such type that it becomes impossible for spouses to live together; Neelu Kohli v. Naveen Kohli, AIR 2004 All 1.
(iv) The levelling of false allegation by one spouse about the other having alleged illicit relations with different persons outside wedlock amounted to mental cruelty; Jai Dayal v. Shakuntala Devi, AIR 2004 Del 39.
(v) Mental disorder for relief under section 13 (1) (iii) should be of such a degree that it is impossible to lead normal marital life or it is unreasonable to expect a person to put up with a spouse with such condition; B.N. Panduranga Shet v. S.N. Vijayalaxmi, AIR 2003 Karn 357
(vi) Due to the criminal complaint filed by the wife, the husband remained in jail for 63 days and also his father and brother for 20 to 25 days. Therefore, even though the case of cruelty may not have been proved but as the facts emerging from the record clearly indicate that the living of the two as husband and wife would not only be difficult but impossible, the court has no alternative but to grant a decree of divorce; Poonam Gupta v. Ghanshyam Gupta, AIR 2003 All 51.
(vii) Unless the entire genesis of the quarrels in the course of which, one of the spouses holds out a threat to take his or her life is placed before the court, the very fact that some threat in the course of a quarrel is held out, cannot be viewed in isolation or construed as mental cruelty to the other spouse; Nalini Sunder v. G.V. Sundar, AIR 2003 Kar 86.
(viii) A husband cannot ask his wife that he does not like her company, but she can or should stay with other members of the family in matrimonial home. Such an attitude is cruelty in itself on the part of the husband; Yudhishter Singh v. Sarita, AIR 2002 Raj 382.
(ix) Removal of mangalsutra by wife at the instance of her husband does not amount to mental cruelty; S. Hanumantha Rao v. S. Ramani, AIR 1999 SC 1318.
(x) A threat to commit suicide by the wife amounts to infliction of mental cruelty on the husband but it should not be uttered in a domestic tiff; Pushpa Rani v. Vijay Pal Singh, AIR 1994 All 220.
(xi) Solitary instance of cruelty would not constitute cruelty so as to grant a decree for divorce rather the behaviour of the other party has to be persistently and repeatedly treating the other spouse with such cruelty so as to cause a reasonable apprehension in the mind of the husband/wife that it will be harmful or injurious for him or her to live with the other party. The expression ?persistently? means continue firmly or obstinately and the expression ?repeatedly? means to say or do over again; Vimlesh v. Prakash Chand Sharma, AIR 1992 All 261.

If she is unable to maintain herself and she has no means or saving for her livelihood then she may file a petition for alimony.

Feel Free to Call
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4867 Answers
222 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ur wife has many grounds like harasment, cruelty, less income, sexual unsatisfaction frm u, etc. U have to pay maintainance and alimony as decided by court which will depend on ur income tax returns.
Shivam Sood
Advocate, Ludhiana
93 Answers
1 Consultation

4.2 on 5.0

1. There are two ways in securing the decree of divorce. One is by jointly filing a mutual consent divorce petition after signing a MOU and setting and agreeing for the terms like maintenance or one time payment of compensation and the other is by filing a contested divorce petition,

2. The MCD will be decided with in 6 & 1/2 months whereas the contested divorce may run for even 4/5 years,

3. If divorce is granted on the ground of proven adultery then court may not award alimony to the wife,

4. Generally contested divorce petition is filed on the ground of cruelty duly sbmitting the evidence of the alleged cruel actions. 
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18535 Answers
449 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You have not mentioned that if there is a dispute existing between you both.

She can file divorce on the grounds of cruelty or desertion or whatever wrong she found in you.

If you also agree for divorce, why dont you make it as a mutual consent divorce so that the alimony aspect also can be decided  instead of fighting a log drawn legal battles for years.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
35869 Answers
390 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer