• Made short signature in contract papers

I mistakenly signed with my short signature in stamp paper s related to documents of a company my husband has opened. Can I cross out and sign with my full signature?
Asked 1 year ago in Business Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
is the document notarised ? 

2) if so you cannot make any further signatures on said document 

3) if in the contract papers only parties have signed you can affix your signatures on said document 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44368 Answers
2577 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If the same is not yet registered and not yet circulated, then you can cross out the short signature and attest the same with your full  signature.
Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
1620 Answers
107 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can but there is no need.
Unless it is specifically asked giving short signature is perfectly alright and legal as well.
In stead of putting cross mark you can put an additional full signature below the short signature.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12538 Answers
161 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot cross out your signature. Any alteration or overwriting with ink on the stamp paper is seen as a suspicious circumstance by the courts if there is a dispute. A supplementary deed can be executed though.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

No Need to worry.  
In any of your existing bank accounts, kindly make your short signature as a regular signature in  one of your bank accounts by making amendments to the Signature Card. Thereafter you can also ask your banker to attest your new signature and keep the same for records.
Alternatively  you can also henceforth make it  a practice to make your short signature your regular signature in all of the new company and bank  records. 
The signatures of Human beings keep changing on account of various factors(Age, Health, Injury etc). 
All needs to be done is that some authority should attest your current signature in its current form. 
Also there is nothing wrong in having 2  standard signatures.  Many leading personalities have 2 standard signatures (1 for volume- short) &(1 for value- Lengthy and full signature). So no need to worry at all.
Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
1267 Answers
155 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

You can side by side put in your full signatures on the places where your initials are given. Please do not cross initials already there. The documentation is valid if you act accordingly. 
Sushil Jha
Advocate, Patna
260 Answers
2 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Signature is a matter of right.

You can sign it in any manner but you should not disown it when there arises a question about it.

When you now try to change the signature on the papers already signed, it may create suspicion hence better allow it to go for a round  with the same signature. 

In the event of any objection from any quarter then you may certify that this was indeed  your signature  
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34540 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer