• Blackmailing

I met a guy 3 years back from my office and eventually we got into a relationship.Since I stay away from my home town he planned to move in with me.Since then we are living together and have physical relationship.Since the guy is from another community may parents refused to marriage and it was a major setback for them so I dropped the idea of marriage.I never promised marriage as I knew my parents may not agree.After the incidence we still remained together.But now I don't want things to go bad so I want to leave but he is adamant that he will not let me marry someone else whom my parents may choose and will let my parents know everything in spite  knowing that my father is a hyper tension patient and he is also demanding 10 lakh compensation.I have never agreed to anything like that.i feel like commiting suicide. please help.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Delhi, Delhi
Religion: Sikh
If you want to take legal action against him then you may file a criminal case for extortion before police or court.

Feel Free to Call
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4879 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. No one can force you to marry him without your consent.
2.So nothing to worry. Just move on and marry of your choice.
3. If he tries to blackmail you, lodge complaint with local police. The police will take necessary action.
Breaking up relationship is sometimes very bitter ans has its own inherent hazards which you have to bear.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
13141 Answers
174 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you dont have to pay any compensation to your lover of Rs 10 lakhs 

2) you are at liberty to break off the relationship and marry some one else

3) record his threats . 

4) file complaint against him before local police station of  criminal intimidation under section  506 of IPC
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46744 Answers
2767 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, You know very well that what you have done is not correct but now whatso ever reasons you are not ready and willing to marry him.

2. There is no formal marriage between you  and your boy friend but the Supreme Court judgement says that if the boy and girl living under one roof as husband and wife then it is deemed to be marriage.

3. But it is very difficult to prove in the Court of law but one thing you must remember that he has blackmailing you so you can lodge police Complaint against him for blackmailing.

4. Don't worry he can't do anything.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Put your feet down and ask him to leave.
Disconnect all contacts from him
Don't be afraid of what he would tell your dad and family

No question of you can pay as he has no case,no complaint can make against you.
If he pressurize you more gget the help of alawyer.
Convey him.that he will be in trouble if he chose to intimidate you.
It is surprising that he is so unwise to make demands as this can land him to jail.
You should not subject to his threat,blavkmailing,move out and don't connect to him at all.
Take your Father in confidence and tell him that this boy is ltelling lies,threatening,and trying to take advantage and forcing you to marry him.
Please know that most legal provisions supports you and none him.so don't  worry,take adecision to move on,disconnect from him.if needed take legal help to deal with his ecsentric way .

Thresiamma G. Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1515 Answers
139 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Marrying him or not marrying him at this stage is entirely your decision and having physical relation is not a suggestion that this would lead to a marriage. His demanding a compensation shall be a blackmail and is penal offence under extortion. Get him on phone to say such a thing and record the same and then you can have upper hand. Had it not been his  demand of ten lacs, it could have been taken as a person  in love who does not want to desert you but by demanding money he has shown his colour. After collecting the evidence of extortion walk out with your head high and then call  his bluff.  
H. S. Thukral
Advocate, New Delhi
569 Answers
170 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

When the relationship ends on a bad note such developments are common. 
This is the difference between a relationship that has been looked into in a foreign country and   in India.
The relationship when decided to put a full stop in a foreign country, the partners part with each happily without any demand or grievance or any expectation.  They dont give room to any sentimental or emotional issues during breakup. 
Whereas in India, when people agree to live in a relationship do not think about the social repercussions on it and they hardly care for the regards of the society or feelings of their parents or relatives or family name etc. But when they break up, the emotional and sentimental issues prevail and makes them arrogant without understanding the meaning of such relationship  
Yours is one such development.  If you had the courage to choose this type of life three years ago, did you not think about your father's health then?
Well when you dared the world while starting this relationship with him what makes you scared about this threats now he poses while breaking up this?
If he is going beyond his limits then you can always take legal recourse by lodging a complaint with the police narrating the facts as well his illegal demands, blackmail, extortion threats including his intention   to spread them in the social network etc which can be termed as cyber crime.
Take the help of law enforcing authority immediately before things go out of your control. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36896 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

section 503 of IPC Whoever threatens another with any injury to his person, reputation or property, or to the person or reputation of any one in whom that person is interested, with intent to cause alarm to that person, or to cause that person to do any act which he is not legally bound to do, or to omit to do any act which that person is legally entitled to do, as the means of avoiding the execution of such threat, commits criminal intimidation. 
The offence of Criminal intimidation can be punished with with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both; 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46744 Answers
2767 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Do not commit suicide. You have the right to end the relationship at anytime without incurring any legal obligation to compensate him. If he threatens you in any manner then file a police complaint against him.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23140 Answers
640 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer