1) My father asked the lawyer to provide a copy of the petition but he is not willing and thinks we are suspecting him. My wife's side elders know him and we are taking care of his fee. He says the onus is on him and will assure there will be no cases filed if I go to India. This is only a verbal statement and if we ask him more questions he thinks we are suspecting him. All he says is, I just have to receive the summons and leave and he will not even let the other party know.
The lawyer's attitude is not appreciable. There is nothing wrong if he is giving a copy of the petition. being a lawyer he knows it pretty well that the summons can be served at abroad too, it is not understood that why he is also insisting your presence in India just to receive the summons.
If he is maintaining the same hostile attitude, you may stop paying him the fees and change the lawyer.
2) During the discussions my father kept saying it is difficult for me to travel because of my job and the summons can be sent to me but they insisted that I come. I had to reluctantly agree because if I am being firm they keep firing abuses and elders from my side just keep forcing us to agree because they think cases will be filed.
You should not be sentimentally disturbed and emotionally affected by such rumours. Be firm on your stand to not to come to India, let they proceed with the case as per procedures or do whatever they like, dont budge to any pressure.
3) The lawyer decided that he will give the money to the girl's side if I do not receive the summons personally. My job will be in jeopardy if I cannot return back in three to four days and I am definitely not sure about their motive. The lawyer says elders from wife's side want to close this matter as soon as possible and that is why we should not suspect them.
Be careful about this lawyer, he seems to be untrustworthy,i.e., he takes fee from you and acting on their behalf for their benefits.
4) They keep saying we have to stick to our word but we have been consistently trying to get the summons issued to my USA address. The lawyer also said my parents should not listen to hearsay and take the summons on my behalf and if they do there will be more trouble.
This is the right time you discard that lawyer and engage the services of a better and more prudent lawyer who will take care of your interests.
5) Can I avail the services of another lawyer and have him receive the summons on my behalf and post them to me so that I can send acknowledgement to the judge?
A lawyer cannot receive summons on your behalf, but the summons can be sent to your US address directly by the court if your wife provides the address to the court.
6) MCD would be ideal but they are not willing to listen to anything I say. Both my wife and I hail from nearby villages and all our elders stick to their own rules. If I call my wife or her parents and request they will make a fuss about it and things get twisted. Please let me know how to proceed.
It is your life and your problem, why do you pay heed to the nonsense of the so called elders, they may be revolving in their own old ideas which is good for nothing. Just ignore them and try for MCD, if it is not feasible,
if they are arrogantly adamant you too can show your arrogance.
7) Can LOC be issued even without filing of a case? Can an FIR be registered the moment I land in India and an LOC be issued? Please let me know.
A big NO is the answer for this question.