• Intimidation

I have started construction of a house in a newly bought plot of land. A poor family is occupying the adjacent plot for more than 10 years with their landlord trying to evict them. Recently they took electricity connection from my house for lighting a single bulb for two days. Their landlord is now threatening me of dire consequences and publically bullying me and even threatening to get me arrested. Have I committed a crime of such magnitude? Can I file a defamation suit against him?
Asked 1 year ago in Civil Law from Nazira, Assam
You have only helped and this is not yet a crime in our country, so if the land lord is threatning, you go ahead and lodge a criminal complaint against him for criminal intimidation and using abusive language, register a F.I.R alleging that he is giving you life threats and that you foresee danger to your life and property.
this should teach him a proper lesson. 
1) record his threats 

2) file complaint of criminal intimidation under section 506 of IPC against landlord 
You may have helped them out of compassion but you should have kept out of this if eviction proceedings were underway between them. By giving them electricity connection you aided and abetted the criminal act of staying in a property after trespassing into it. Be that as it may, if the landlord has threatened and bullied you then you are free to file a criminal complaint for criminal intimidation against him. A defamation suit is not made out as the landlord has the right to tell you that he will get you arrested. 
1)you can consult local lawyer if you so desire 

2)your neighbour is trying to scare you so that you dont help your neighbours  tenant 
You cannot be arrested unless there is a complaint filed against you. If a complaint is filed then apply for anticipatory bail immediately to preempt your arrest. So be ready with the contact details of a lawyer. 
1) You have not done any serious offence of any magnitude  that attracts  arrest, detention etc. The guy is only using pressure tactics to deter you from being of any help to the defiant tenant who is a thorn in his flesh.

2) As a matter of fact it is illegal to draw an electrical connection to someone else's property. However as it was temporary and is no more standing there is nothing to worry.

3) You can file a complaint against the guy for criminal intimidation and threat. There lies  no defamation suit in the present scenario.  
1) You will not require a lawyer's help unless you actually get arrested. There is no way he can get you arrested any way.

2) As posted above file a complaint against him immediately in the nearest police station.
yes it is advised to speak to a lawyer in your town in the event he tries to get you arrested on false charges, you will need to obtain an anticipatory bail from court to evade arrest.
Hi, You can lodge a police complaint against the landlord.

2. But It will not come under the definition of defamation. 
The neighboring landlord cannot issue such threats on you.
If he has got any grievance against the illegal occupants of his property, he can take action against them alone and not you.
His complaint against you on this aspect is not maintainable, the police will not entertain any such complaint.
If the threat persists you may lodge a complaint against him for criminal intimidation and threats.
Yes you can take the help of a lawyer if you cannot handle the issue properly.