• Love marriage

Hi, I am in a love relation with a girl. We both are above 21 and are Hindu. But our families are against our marriage and from the next yer , i will be moving to US. So to save our relation , is there any way we can legally commit our self to marry in future, i mean we can make any kind of agreement which will protect our relation as well as restrict our families to fix our marriages against our will. Kindly advise. And also if this is not an option, we are ready to do Court Marriage but we want to do it secretly, i mean we do not want to involve our parents for now, if in future things goes out of our hands then we will reveal our marriage to our parents to legally accept us. Thanks and Regards.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Religion: Hindu
1) you both are adults and free to marry without your parents consent 

2)since you both are Hindus you can visit the nearest Arya Samaj and ge married 

3) for marriage  under special marriage act 30 days notice is required to be given by the parties 

4)if no objections are received marriage can be solemnised under SMA in presence of witnesses 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45612 Answers
2680 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. An agreement to marry is not enforceable under the Indian law. You can marry before the registrar which is called as court marriage in the common parlance, but it will be difficult for two of you to keep things under the carpet unless you are residing separately from your parents.

2. You are to submit your intention to get married to the registrar, along with the residence certificate (i.e. proof of residence), certified copies of passports and birth certificates, and two passport sized photographs and few affidavits each, whereupon a notice will be issued to the residential address submitted by you with a view to afford an opportunity to them to file objections to your marriage.

3. If no objections to the marriage are received within 30 days of the application, a civil ceremony at the registry office can then take place. Three witnesses are required, who have to provide passport sized photographs, as well as identification and proof of address. The marriage certificate is usually issued a couple of weeks after the wedding.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, entering into any kind of agreement will not help you if you want you can register your marriage before the Sub-Registrar.

2. Once you register your marriage, you will become a husband and wife. 
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4551 Answers
203 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Do not attempt to get married secretly it is of no use, both your parents must be convinced to accept your relationship, if not move on in life. Love is available every where. Chances are you both might meet better people and find love where ever you live. 
Needless to say there is no agreement that both can sign here and abide by it after 2 or 3 years, agreements are made only to be broken, just as promises. So don't take it as an option.
Kiran N. Murthy
Advocate, Bangalore
999 Answers
89 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. No, such agreements for committing  marriage/relationship is not valid in India,

2. Since both of you are adult, you can get registry marriage done before you leave for US,

3. You shall have to have a separate address proof (if you do not want the notice to come to your present home) for filing an application for getting registered marriage to ensure that the registrar send notice of marriage to your given address and not to your present address,

4. After the notice period is over, you can get married for which the Registrar will issue a marriage certificate to you.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18511 Answers
448 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no such agreement or bond to keep the marital promises safely or restrict the parents from violating the terms or agreement. 

As wisely thought by you, it is better you get your marriage registered through a marriage registrar of your jurisdictions secretly with the help of a very few and closely confident friends.

Let the closely guarded marriage be solemnised in a very simple function. 

The compliance of the requirements for registering the marriage must be take proper care without leaking the information before marriage to the ears of any vested interest, to avoid spoiling the program. 

First select friends who are trust worthy and helpful and willing to face all the situations. 

Plan the event meticulously and proceed towards success.  
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
35786 Answers
389 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer