I (Amarnath) took Reliance net connect connection around Feb this year from office,used it for 3-4 months & terminated the service due to poor connection. My monthly bill was 1139 Rs. & the last bill i received was for the month of August. I paid & settled everything and terminated the service then. Actually no longer associated with that office too.
After 3 months, today morn i got a lawyer notice email from Reliance that i have an outstanding due of 771 Rs & i have to pay in a week else i would be in court etc..Was wondering why i'm getting this after terminating the connection ! Amidst office tension ,i thought i might have missed to pay and immediately paid that 771 rs for the number they have mentioned in the notice which is same as in my old bills. After seeing the bill receipt i was shocked to see that the number is under the name of someone named "Suprith"
Then i immediately called customer care & came to know that personal details mismatch, this number belongs to Suprith only and not Amarnath and number is active . He asked me for the service termination request no which i don't have or deleted by mistake months ago. Then he said it is under the name of suprith and its active. Then i asked why i received the notice then ? even if so the due should be 1139 * 3 for 3 months since Sep. Customer care said they cant help it for me paying someone else due.
so the scenario is like
1. Amarnath took the connection & terminated it around august ( since aug is the last bill received)
2. Reliance assigned the same number to someother guy named suprith later
3. Suprith has an outstanding due of 771 rs
4. Reliance sends an lawyer notice to Amarnath on nov 24 .& he pays immediately to discover that he has been cheated with wrong claim since he already terminated the connection,no bills after august, and even if its still under his name the bill should be 1139*3 by now with due.On paying 771 rs online the receipt for the mentioned number in notice belongs to a person named suprith.
5. Customer care also confirms the number is active and belongs to Suprith not Amarnath.
Then why i received the notice,why i paid 771, was there an email update mistake in their server,or why addressed to me? - for this no answers , if you want you can go to stores and
enquire yourself . that's the response i got from customer care.
What should i do about this unnecessary pressure & paying for someone? what should i do about the legal notice? kindly guide.
Asked 11 months ago in Business Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Hi, don't bother too much about the notice you just reply to the email stating the fact that you have already disconnected the same in the August it self so you are not liable to pay the amount and also write a letter to the Reliance company stating the same facts through RPAD and keep the copy of the same with you.
2. The Reliance company can't do anything if they go legally.
1) you should reply to legal notice that legal notice ahs been wrongly sent o you as phone number is in name of suprith and not you .
2) that you had terminated the phone connection in August 2015
3)request lawyer to with draw the legal notice
can i request them to refund 771 rs paid today ?
Asked 11 months ago
1) you can seek refund of Rs 771 wrongly paid by you as bill was in name of Suprith though sent at your residence
issue a legal notice to company and their service provider and claim your money back with compensation of their wrong and illegal act.
if they are not ready to settle the matter amicably then you have right to file a complaint before consumer court.
Advocate, New Delhi
Hi, you are not liable to pay any arrears of bill so you have paid it. Therefore ask them to refund of your amount.
1) You ought to have made proper inquiry before making hasty payment of the bill that did not belong to you.Now having already paid a bill that was not your due you still have to send a reply to the legal notice stating actual facts.
2) You can not only claim the 771 you paid but also seek to be compensated for the unwanted legal notice issued to you without proper verification.
3) Get the help of a lawyer to draft an appropriate legal reply to the notice you received. You can seek to recover legal costs from the company. If the company does not comply with the demands in the notice reply you can approach the court for reliefs.
You have full details about all the payments made by you or you can collect the detail from the service provide.
Issue a legal notice tendering their apologies as well as refund of the amount collected from you, failing which you may file a consumer case against them.
1. You paid the outstanding dues of somebody else under an impression that you were liable to pay it. So the service provider is bound to refund the amount to you in entirety. It can proceed to recover the amount from the liable individual.
2. If you emailed to the company to refund your amount and have no received a satisfactory reply then move to consumer forum to recover the money with compensation.