• DOB correction in marriage certificate

My name is Rajsekar and i need some clarity on how to make changes to DOB in marriage certificate.
I got married in 2008 and registered our marriage in 2010. My wife's DOB in the marriage certificate is mentioned as 17-07-1984 which is wrong. Her correct DOB is 17-09-1984 as per her Birth Certificate.

What is the role of O/o The Inspector General of Registration ? 
What is the process of making changes to DOB in marriage certificate.

Appreciate your help.
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Religion: Hindu
1) it appears that typographical error has been made in entering your wife correct date of birth in marriage certificate

2) visit the marriage registrar office . make an application for rectifying the typographical error in date of birth of your wife in marriage certificate .
3) enclose documentary evidence to show the correct date of birth of your wife such as birth certificate 

4) on being satisfied that it is typographical  error the mistake would be rectified . 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45435 Answers
2669 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can apply to the Registrar of marriages for the correction and re issuance of the marriage certificate.
Any correction in the marriage certificate is possible by applying with the concerned supporting documents, in this case  a birth certificate or school living certificate f your wife.
The application for the correction can be made before the  Municipal ward office  that is your panchayath, municipality or corporation .Every such ward will have a officer who makes registration and issuance of marriage certificate, death and birth certificate
Thresiamma G. Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1515 Answers
134 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.  In marriage certificate the dob can't be corrected any more.
2. However you can swear an affidavit stating the anomalies. That's enough.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12808 Answers
165 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) It appears from your description that the error that crept in the Marriage certificate is typographical and not intentional by any means.It is possible to get the changes effected with the issuing authority. The issuing authority here would be the Registrar of Marriages where your marriage was registered.

2) You need to make an application to the Registrar of Marriages  with copies of the relevant documents to substantiate the correct date so that the corrections can be made and a new certificate issued to you.

3) If the Marriage Certificate was issued by the local body government like the municipality or the Municipal corporation as the case may be you can make the application with the concerned office for the correction and re issuance of the certificate.
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
2240 Answers
110 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File an application for correcting the typographical error happened at the time of registering the application for marriage with supporting documents of corrected DOB.Then apply new corrected certificate of marriage 
Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
2766 Answers
47 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. File a declaratory suit praying for a declaration that your wife's actual date of birth is 17.9.1984 which has been wrongly mentioned as 17.7.1984 in her marriage certificate also praying for a direction upon the Registrar of Marriage to rectify the said  mistake in his register and issue a fresh marriage certificate with correct date of birth,

2. The Registrar will issue a fresh marriage certificate with the correct date of birth of your wife mentioned therein. 
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18430 Answers
448 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This appears to be a typographical error.
However the error found in the marriage certificate is not going to hamper any record nor the actual date of birth as found in the birth certificate of the educational certificates.  There is no issue to worry about it to this extent.
However since you seem to be unnecessarily worried about it, you may make an application to the concerned registrar of marriage stating the error and to rectify the same and to support your claim you may enclose the attested copies of the relevant document/certificate showing her correct date of birth and also a copy of the marriage certificate may be enclosed. You may pay the necessary charges across the counter of the office and comply with all,other formalities in this regard and wait for the corrected certificate to arrive to your home address within the time stipulated. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
35601 Answers
385 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Your wife can apply to the Inspector General of Registrar for rectifying the error. A copy of the birth certificate and an affidavit attested before a notary public will have to support the application for rectification. 

2. The registrar would conduct an enquiry and then decide whether to allow the rectification or not. If the rectification is allowed to be carried out then a fresh certificate will be issued.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer