• Obtaining marriage certificate

I am an Indian citizen residing in india since 2010. My fiance is an Indian origin south african. He was born and raised in South Africa. We are planning on getting married in october 2016. Since we are both hindus, we are planning on a traditional hindu wedding. 
Due to leave issues, he will be here for 2weeks only. What is the procedure for getting a marriage certificate?
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Trivandrum, Kerala
Religion: Hindu
the documents required for registering a marriage under the Hindu Marriage Act are as follows:

Application form duly signed by both husband and wife
Documentary evidence of date of birth of parties (Matriculation Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate) Minimum age of both parties is 21 years at the time of registration under the Special Marriage Act
Ration card of husband or wife whose area SDM has been approached for the certificate
Affidavit by both the parties stating place and date of marriage, date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality
Two passport size photographs of both the parties and one marriage photograph
Marriage invitation card, if available
If marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage
Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship as per Hindu Marriage Act or Special Marriage Act as the case may be
Attested copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower
In case one of the parties belong to other than Hindu, Buddhist, Jain and Sikh religions, a conversion certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage
All documents excluding receipt should be attested by a Gazetted Officer
Verification of all the documents is carried out on the date of application and a day is fixed and communicated to the parties for registration. On the said day, both parties, along with a Gazetted Officer who attended their marriage, need to be present before the SDM. The marriage certificate under the Hindu Marriage Act is issued on the same day or within a few days.
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45486 Answers
2672 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1)documentary evidence regarding stay in India of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO)

2) Evidence of eligibility to be married ie   Certificate of No Impediment or single status from south african embassy 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45486 Answers
2672 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you husband have a PIO card it would be helpful, otherwise his passport which would be showing place of birth as India would be sufficient.  You should visit the registrar office and fix a date of registration of marriage in advance, this date can be same as of the marriage as per Hindu Traditions. 
Atulay Nehra
Advocate, Noida
1016 Answers
34 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

1. Immediately after solemnization of your marriage you can apply to the registrar for the registration certificate. The marriage photographs will have to be annexed along with the application form and an affidavit will also have to be annexed. Thereafter, a day will be appointed for the registration. If no objections are received from anyone the certificate will be issued. 

2. Since your fiancee is not an Indian citizen his passport will suffice.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Despite solemnising the marriage as per Hindu religion rites and customs, the bride groom being a foreigner or a foreign citizen, the formalities for marrying a foreigner and the registration formalities as envisaged in the foreign marriages act or the special marriages act has to be followed. The details can be had from the local registrar's office. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
35651 Answers
387 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File an application for intended to marry before marriage registrar and get the certificate.
I'd proof address proof and age proof along with three passport size photographs of the parties are required.
Passport Is sufficient.

Feel Free to call
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4856 Answers
221 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. Get married following Hindu Rites and after hat get the said social marriage registered before a Court,

2. This way you will be able to avoid the mandatory 1 month notice period,

3. Otherwise for getting a registered marriage  conducted, you shall have to give one months notice for registration of the said marriage.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18471 Answers
448 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

 It will be fixed one month after the date of application,

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18471 Answers
448 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer