• Can power of attorney be provided of a bank locker?

Hi, I would like to understand if the power of attorney can be provided of a bank locker. My mom and dad are the secondary and they can't really travel to open the locker which is in Bangalore. Is there a way the POA can be provided so that they can avoid traveling?

The bank locker in question here is one of the nationalized banks and it has even multiple branches in the city where my parents are right now.
Asked 5 months ago in Civil Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

12 Answers

Parents can execute specific POA authorising you to open the bank locker 


it should be duly notarised 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
81866 Answers
5124 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, But it should be registered Power of Attorney otherwise the bank may raise objections.

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
5932 Answers
281 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Yes, if POA is registered than it can be used to operate bank lockers. If all are mentioned in details.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
11991 Answers
126 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. Yes, it's possible for the POA to act here in Bengaluru, on behalf of your parents, to operate Bank lockers.

2. The POA can be given to some trusted person, preferably a blood relative. The POA signed by your parents have to be notarized abroad or to be countersigned by an official of the Indian Embassy and sent to India for adjudication by the jurisdictional Sub Registrar.


Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
3487 Answers
202 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

A registered POA can be used to operate bank lockers.

Sanjeev Gupta
Advocate, East Delhi
98 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

The formalities to be performed in a bank to open account or locker varies with rules of every bank.  Therefore talk to the concerned branch.  Legally there is no bar.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22295 Answers
340 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, Specific Power of Attorney along with a Letter of Authority duly signed by your mother and witnessed by your father is required to be executed in your favor for getting access to bank locker. However, Letter of Authority is to be executed every time you need access to locker. 

Specific Power of Attorney is not a form of transfer of property. Hence it provides you powers to act on behalf of your parents. Whereas the Letter of Authority is required every time you access the locker as the same signifies that you are given authority to act on their behalf on that specific day and you are authorised by them to access the locker as on that day as their POA holder. 


A set of SPOA and LOA shall be preserved by Bank for their records and the same is required to be preserved by you too. The LOA preserved by you needs sign of banker who allows you the access. 


Pooja Ashar
Advocate, Ahmedabad
195 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes why not, can be issued mentioning bank account no., nature etc.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
2283 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, In the General Power of Attorney holder entitled to operate bank locker. Provided same must be mentioned in the General Power of Attorney.

Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
5020 Answers
265 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

A power of attorney deed is an authorisation letter to the power holder to do the assigned task on behalf of his/her principal, hence you can obtain the POA deed  for this purpose.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
71936 Answers
1062 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Even your mother and father are primary and secondary account holder, since the operative rights are vested on your mother, she can execute a notarised power of attorney deed in your favor for this purpose.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
71936 Answers
1062 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- They can execute POA in your favour and registered the same from the office of Registrar where they are residing for the said work on their behalf. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
6598 Answers
70 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer