• Want to transfer property to father

I wan t to transfer my self earned property to my father 
what will be the best way to execute ? do i have to pay stamp duty and registration charges?
there is no financial transaction involved in this transfer
Asked 4 days ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

4 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

20 Answers

You can execute gift deed inyour father favour 


2) you will have to pay stamp duty and registration charges 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
78484 Answers
4708 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Gift deed, stamp duty will levy.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21094 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

It better to go for Gift Deed transactions.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
11382 Answers
103 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Yes you will incur a negligible stamp duty and registration charges for gift deed for the same being a blood relative

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
21783 Answers
45 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

You can transfer your property to your father through gift deed. after that you can apply for the mutation of the property which is necessary to transfer utility connections in the name of the recipient.

Stamp duty and registration charges you need to pay as per your state rules. Most likely Charges are same as like sale agreement.


Sanjeev Gupta
Advocate, East Delhi
57 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

- As per law , being the owner of a self acquired property , you having right to transfer the same to anyone including your father , and none having right to claim over the said property. 

- You can registered a Gift deed in favour of your father , and the stamp duty is very nominal being the blood rated. 

- Unregistered gift deed/agreement having no value in the eye of law. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
5134 Answers
50 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Best option is to Gift the same.  It will be done with least expenditure.

Yes you need to get it registered by paying nominal stamp duty and registration charges.


S Srinivasa Prasad
Advocate, Hyderabad
2743 Answers
9 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Make a registered gift deed

There is stamp duty of 3% and also registration fee of 1% of market value of the property 

Had it been a gift from father to son, the duty on the gift deed would be only Rs 500 if the property sought to be gifted is a residential or agricultural property 

Yusuf Rampurawala
Advocate, Mumbai
5615 Answers
34 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You may prefer to execute a registered Gift Deed in favor of Father.

2. In Maharashtra:  Stamp Duty: 200/- Registration Fees: 200/- 

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5331 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes ,it is very easy and quick to execute it by 

Gift deed  which may attract stamp duty around 2% of total value of the property and around INR 30,000/ Registration Charges for registration of Gift deed.

Ramesh Pandey
Advocate, Mumbai
2280 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

You may transfer your self acquired property in the name of your father by way of transfer deed. There is no stamp duty on transfer deed within blood relations in Haryanam

You may consult a local lawyer wether stamp duty is payable or not in Maharashtra.

Jaswant Singh
Advocate, Gurugram
770 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

A gift deed will be the best way

Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5056 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1. You have to transfer the property vide a registered gift deed. Yes the stamp duty and registration charges shall be applicable. 

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25469 Answers
110 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no stamp duty payable for transfer of immovable proeprty within blood relations.

You may have to pay only Rs. 500/-  and Rs. 200 for registration.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
68510 Answers
918 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

execute gift deed, it should be duly stamped and registered. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
18398 Answers
11 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Dear sir,

You'll have to do it by executing a gift deed. There is no other way.  

Yes, you'll have to pay the stamp duty and get it registered.

Agam Sharma
Advocate, New Delhi
514 Answers
4 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir/Madam,

You are suggested to go for the gift deed in favour of father for which stamp duty @ 03% of value of the property will be levied.  

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6225 Answers
13 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Execute Gift Deed in favour of your father and get it registered in the jurisdictional Sub Registrar's Office. In some states like Karnataka, execution of Gift Deed between blood relatives attracts a meager stamp duty. In this way you can transfer your self acquired property to your father.

Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
3166 Answers
175 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Best way to transfer property on name of your father is execution of Gift deed this mode will save your stamp duty and registration charges.

2. Yes you have to pay stamp duty and registration charges.

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10302 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

A gift deed must be made and registered. Stamp duty has to be paid.

Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
11120 Answers
19 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer