• Need legal advice

I am Sunitha Sharma from Mumbai. A year ago I had an extra marital affair with somene I loved in my college days. Now I am out of it. But the wife of Prem had seen all the online chats (including sex chat )on Prems computer and has the secret phone bills that we used. Though Prem and I are not in a relationship now, she (wife of Prem) has been threatening me over phone almost every couple of days that she would disclose this affair to my husband, children and my parents and put me to shame.  She has been sending me threatening messages that she would die and is cursing me and my children every couple of days. This is affecting me psychologically. I am not able to concentrate on my work and am pained mentally living in fear. I know I made a mistake and I am out of the affair now. Kindly let me know if there is any solution to this problem legally with appropriate sections.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Christian
legaly she may take step against her husband not against you for brief you may call
Avdhesh Chaudhary
Advocate, Greater Noida
565 Answers
20 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Hi, it is better you talk her directly and tried to convince her.......... as you admit you have committed a mistake but thing is that she can't take any legal action against you but disclosing these facts to your husband and children it will affect your personnel life.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4551 Answers
203 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

kindly keep in mind that every body makes mistake and there is no harm in accepting mistakes,your husband may be disturbed for few days but later become comfortable if he does not have any other issue with you,it is just that this time it is you  and he could have also being in your position. now a days these things are very common in society and you are not an exception. This is what i can advise you ,decision is yours
Rajeev Bari
Advocate, New Delhi
1506 Answers
92 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Legally speaking, you may file a police complaint of harassment against her. However, exercise of this legal remedy is fraught with a risk of turmoil ensuing in your life in as much as she may disclose your extra-marital affair to your husband and other relatives. Your husband may react in the same manner as any husband would react on discovering proof of his wife's infidelity. Consequently, your marriage may be on rocks. You need to handle the situation in a deft manner to extricate yourself out of it.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Rajeev Bari
Advocate, New Delhi
1506 Answers
92 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

1) change your telephone number . the lady must not be having your residential details . 

2) if at all she files case of adultery against her husband you cannot be punished as under law women is regarded as a victim . 

3) till your number is changed record all her telephone calls . inform the lady that if you continue those calls you will be forced to file police complaint against her for criminal intimidation . 

4) ask your ex lover Prem to talk to his wife and warn him that if dosent act you would be forced to file police complaint against his wife . 

5) never bow down to these threats . if lady had wanted to tell your husband she would have done it by now . she is merely keeping you on tenterhooks by calling you and threatening you .
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45520 Answers
2676 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If anyone is liable to be punished it is your friend for committing adultery.  your problem is more of a social nature then legal. disclose the fact to your husband to avoid embarrassment.
Tulika Prakash
Advocate, Gurgaon
113 Answers
77 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer