• Jurisdiction

girl belong to city a. boy to city b.marriage in city c.mutual divorce filed in city a where girl is permanent resident.family court judge wants to know how it is his jurisdiction.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Delhi, Delhi
Religion: Hindu
Hi, in the all the place what you have stated a,b.c......... place have jurisdiction to try. either party can choose any one of the place.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4551 Answers
203 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

since girl is permanent resident of city A divorce petition could be presented in city A . wife is now entitled to file a matrimonial petition before a district court in whose territorial jurisdiction she is residing. 


1[19. Court to which petition shall be presented. —Every petition under this Act shall be presented to the district court within the local limits of whose ordinary original civil jurisdiction—

(i) the marriage was solemnised, or

(ii) the respondent, at the time of the presentation of the petition, resides, or

(iii) the parties to the marriage last resided together, or

2[(iiia) in case the wife is the petitioner, where she is residing on the date of presentation of the petition, or]

(iv) the petitioner is residing at the time of the presentation of the petition, in a case where the respondent is, at that time, residing outside the territories to which this Act extends, or has not been heard of as being alive for a period of seven years or more by those persons who would naturally have heard of him if he were alive.]
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45561 Answers
2677 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

either party can choose any one of the place.
Rajeev Bari
Advocate, New Delhi
1506 Answers
92 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

you can file at any place a,b or c. in case of dispute show judge section 19 of hindu marriage act
Avdhesh Chaudhary
Advocate, Greater Noida
565 Answers
20 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Answer lies in section 19 of the act.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer