• Urgent: Copy of original marriage certificate after divorce

Dear Madam/sir,

I am an NRI living in Germany for the last 10 years. I got married in 2007 to my ex-husband in New Delhi but we divorced in 2012 in the Netherlands. Now, I am planning to get married again and need an original copy of the marriage certificate for documentation in Germany. I cannot approach my ex-husband for the copy since I have no contact with him. Could you tell me how it would be possible to get the document?
Thank you!
Asked 14 days ago in Family Law from Germany

If the marriage was registered in India, you can get certified copies of the same after filing requisite application along with fees for the same. You can contact any lawyer from this website to get the same done for you.

Siddharth Jain

contact your lawyer who applied for divorce by mutual consent 

2) in alternative make application to family court which passed decree for dissolution of your marriage 

See you need to apply before the registrar of.marriage where you were married in New Delhi for certified copy of marriage certificate. The original is not given certified copy you will get and same will do.

A registered marriage must have taken place between you and your ex husband. A certificate can be obtained from the registrar office of the district in new Delhi where the marriage was solemnnised.

Rahul Mishra

Legal fees charged by the lawyer depends from lawyer to lawyer.

I takes around 10-12 days to procure the certified copies.

Siddharth Jain

I cannot quote the fee but it will take around 4-5 working days.

Rahul Mishra

Original not possible but can get certify copy of it from municipal office. Original may be in court records. Can get certify copy from court also.

1. If your marriage had been registered then you can obtain a certified copy of it from the office of marriage registrar.

2. Engage a local lawyer and  he should be able to obtain the certified copy.

1. Get certified copy of the marriage certificate from the jurisdictional Sub Registrar's Office from where you and ex-husband got your marriage registered. The certified copy is as good as the original.

2. You can contact a Lawyer based in Delhi to get the papers from the jurisdictional Sub Registrar's Office.

3. Fee varies from person to person and you can obtain a certified copy in a day.

obtaining certified copy may take over a month 

2) it should not cost you more than Rs 5000

See it will cost minimal you can engage local advocate he shall get your work done speedy.

- As per law, you and your husband have right to obtained a certified copy of the mariage certificate , in need.

- For obtaining the same, you will have to move an application for the same before the Marriage registrar , where the marriage was registered in your presence.

- You can get the same, after authorising any relative or lawyer in India as well, within a week time.

Mohammed Shahzad

You may consult a lawyer and ask him directly. 

Do you have the number of the divorce case and the date of order of the divorce. 

A layer in Delhi will not be able to help you much, You will need someone in Netherland to get the copy. I may help you in procuring the same from a lawyer in Netherland if you have the case details. 

It will not take more that two days subject to availability of the staff and working days.

Cost differs from advocate to advocate, finally it is between you and the advocate. 

You can close the issue by making an "All Inclusive" payment i.e., lumpsum payment including out of pocket expenses etc.

S Srinivasa Prasad

If it's registered marriage you can get a certified copy through urgent mode from sub registrar office

You should approach the registrar of marriage where the marriage was registered and apply for true copy of marriage certificate by providing date of marriage names of bride and groom along with copy of your ID. 

If you cannot come to India then you can send some of your relative along with authorization letter to get copy on your behalf.

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak

To obtain a copy of any of a marriage certificate apply for certified copy Or go to the vital statistics office in the  area where the event occurred.

there are number of  expert lawyers from delhi you can contact them through this web portal

1. You shall have to collect certified copy of the said marriage certificate for which you shall have to apply for  before the concerned registrar of marriage.

2. For the above purpose, you shall have to provide the date and place of marriage and also the names of the parties.

3. However, it is noteworthy that decree of divorce passed by the foreign court is not valid in India  unless adjudicated by the local District Court in India.

4. You are still an Indian Citizen for which you might be booked with the chrge of bigamy if your ex-husband lodges a police complaint against you.

5. Moreover, until the foreign decree of divorce is validated by Indian Court, your ex-husband will be considered as your husband as per Indian law.

6. If you have got mutual consent divorce in Germany, then file an application before the Indian District Judge for getting the said foreign decree validated.

1.If complete details is provided, then it might take 15 days to 1 month to get the certified copy of the said marriage certificate.

2. It might cost you anything within Rs.50 K INR.

For getting the marriage extract you may have to approach the registrar of marriage where your marriage was originally registered.

You can apply for duplicate or certified copy of the same which is available in their records.

You dont have to approach your ex-husband for this.

You can approach any lawyer from Delhi who would be willing to do this job for you on his terms.

It may not take much time, it may hardly take one week time but the cost and the fee for the lawyer can be enquired form the lawyer who you may engage