• Passport advance report

I have received below message:”Police has submitted Adverse report for your Current Address.” Can I travel abroad??? file number GZ[deleted]. ihave receive my passport as well
Asked 2 years ago in Criminal Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

15 Answers

See in case you have been staying less than a year in this residence and other address given is clear you will receive passport and you can travel abroad. 

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25518 Answers
149 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can file a fresh application and seek reasons for the same and get the adverse report rectified

Generally when there is a adverse report they don't issue passport.  When you have received the same you can travel

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
24930 Answers
58 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Dear client 

Yes you can travel abroad as you have received your passport.  

This condition can be rectified during the procedure for application of visa. They will ask for police verification report. Then you can contact the police station and get it rectified.

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10688 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can contact the concerned police station and request them to give their amended report and you can provide them the relevant documents required for the the address verification.


Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5820 Answers
88 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


if police has filed adverse report and still you have received the passport then you may travel abroad. Enquire at your police station as to what adverse report was made.



Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17870 Answers
344 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

it simply means you need to give clarification to a passport officer at regional passport office that why police sent adverse report of your current address .

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19012 Answers
31 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You are at liberty to travel abroad 

you can submit application for re verification by regd post to the RPO explaining why police submitted an adverse report.

2) If the RPO finds your reply satisfactory, your letter would be treated as a request to reinitiate the police verification process.

3) Track the delivery. The status would change to 'verification in progress' from 'adverse report'

4) You could track the status of your case online through your file number.

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
84936 Answers
5617 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Unless there is any adverse order of a competent authority, no body can stop you from going abroad. 

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
2283 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

The police might have submitted adverse report on your current address because of 2 major reasons:

  1. You have not been at your place during the police verification: This is rare because the police will inform you before he's coming for the verification. Anyways in that case, you can go the police station that you have mentioned during the application and explain your case, requesting for a re-verification. Re-verification is only possible if the police had not yet submitted the hard copies of proofs at the Regional Passport Office. But if you're late, then take the print of acknowledgement from Passport Verification Cell and go the Regional Passport Office and submit your documents. You will fined 500-1000 and a police re-verification will be initiated.
  2. You have been staying at your present mentioned address for less than 12 months: In this case, police verification will be done at places you have stayed at during past 12 months. This is usually common with students applying from their home town and studying or recently completed their studies else where. Again, you'll have to visit the RPO, same process as mentioned above and submit your college bonafide (for students) or other necessary address proofs.

However this can be avoided by offering the police what he needs. 

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4952 Answers
27 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Passport received than police report has no value, free to travel.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21452 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1.  File review application before the immigration office and request for review in your case.  Ask to once again ask for report from the crime branch of the local police.

2.  Typically despite "adverse report", the immigration authorities would allow travel, looking at your various circumstances (medical, educational, business, income tax returns, crime record, etc.... )

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5570 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Check the status of your passport from the passport portal to verify it is still valid or not.

If you find nothing then meet the passport authority officials.

The authority may revoke the passport on the basis of the adverse police report . if not then you can travel, else not.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
366 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

yes, you can until and unless passport officer passed an order for impounding or surrender your passport.


Feel Free to Call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6140 Answers
292 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You may have to clear the issue pending before the passport office with regard to the observation made by them or else they may inform the immigration department who will stop you from travelling abroad with the defective passport.

You may appear before the concerned authorities and give an affidavit regarding your correct address and may inform them to conduct re-verification through police for the genuineness of your correct address as per application form.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
75050 Answers
1263 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can travel. Adverse report may be due to wrong information provided to police or for several other reasons.  Only remarks by police can't alter your fundamental rights 

Ram Kumar
Advocate, Delhi
16 Answers
1 Consultation

Not rated

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer