• Daughter's surname change after divorce

A wife after divorce wants to change her daughter's surname name to her name from her Ex-Husband'd name.

Is it possible? If yes, what's the procedure and what can be the hurdles from the daughter's biological dad in this process?
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
Hi, if you want to prospective effect then you have to make an affidavit in Rs. 20 stamp paper and make paper publication in two leading news paper.

2.If you want Retrospective effect and want to change the name in previous school  record also then you have to file suit for deceleration before the court. 
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1) You need consent of biological father to change daughter surname 

2) unless biological father gives on writing that he had no objection the change in surname cannot be done 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46909 Answers
2775 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. No. It is not posible,

2. The daughter is the daughter of both the wife and her husband,

3. So, the wife is not authorised to change the surname of her daughter which is the name of her biological father unless consented by her father.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18818 Answers
454 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist,
Yes surname can be change.
follow the below mention Procedure:
1. Published the declaration regarding the surname changed in two leading newspapers in which on should be  national and one should be regional.
2. file the application before the concern department you want to change the surname, the name can be changed.
3. if there is any objection by the department, then you may file a civil suit  for declaration before the civil court of area.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

you should file suit before small causes court under section 39 of Specific relief act and make your husband a defendant. 

on receiving of suit, the court will issue summon to your husband,

if husband is agree to alteration in surname and his consent in writing then court shall pass declaratory decree and publish it in local news paper. after lapse of 30 days, if court does not receive any objection then pas final decree and after that you daughter's surname will be changed.   
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5066 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. No this is not possible except with the consent of the father of the child.

2. If your daughter's father refuses to consent to the change of her name then she has to wait till she attains the age of majority to drop the surname of her father and use your surname.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23180 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer