• I inherited property and land in Punjab

How do I go about transferring the property and land in my name
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Sikh

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

15 Answers

Did the deceased leave any will or he died intestate ?


if deceased left will apply for probate of will 


3)probate is judicial proof that will is genuine 


4) then apply for mutation of property in your name 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
82096 Answers
5156 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

every district has a registration department. You need to go to a deed writer with all the details of the seller and he will calculate stamp duty to be paid. Then registrar will get your property registered by taking registration fees. 

you need to visit the city and get it registered in your name.

Amol Chitravanshi
Advocate, Delhi
253 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

Apply for name transfer to the taluk office/thasildaar who are the appropriate officers along with death certificate of the person from whom you inherit and legal heir certificate. 

Advocate, Chennai
40 Answers
20 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

From whom did u inherit?

Are there are any other legal heirs of the deceased 

Did the deceased left a Will in your favour?

Did you inherit alongwith other persons, in case the person died without leaving a Will? 

Yusuf Rampurawala
Advocate, Mumbai
6157 Answers
50 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


1) The procedure to follow to get the property transferred in your name varies depending on how you inherited the property and whether the property is ancestral or by way of a Will etc.

2) If it's following the death of an ancestor, you need to show proof like the death certificate, document proving your relation to the deceased etc.

3) Need more details for detailed advice.

S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
3246 Answers
139 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There are various ways and stages of inheriting properties. Please elaborate how have you inherited the property. Did you get it by Will or without Will? 

Pawan Verma
Advocate, New Delhi
10 Answers

Not rated

Sir you need to file an application for mutation of property in records in your name with the jurisdictional tehsildar or municipal authority as per location of the property. The application for mutation needs to be filed along with the death certificate of the person you have inherited the property and affidavit and further if will is there then will if not then it would be according to intestate succession. 

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25521 Answers
131 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

  1. As per the information mentioned in the present query, makes it clear that you have got inherited some property though it has not been made clear as to the nature of the property.
  2. If the property is of self acquired nature and there is will then it would dilute in accordance with the wordings of the Will.
  3. If there is no will then it may go to all survivor in equal ratio as per law after getting succession certificate from the court of law to establish your right as a legal heir of the deceased.
  4. If the property is of anscestral nature then it may dilute amongst all coparsemer including the girls also as it has been allowed now after the 2005 amendments.

Rest, you can consult me through Kaanoon for further exact distribution data of property , if like my answer.


Good Luck ...!

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have inherited it should be with will or other mode. You need to specify the same. You can do it with will or succession Certificate

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
23361 Answers
49 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0


If there is a will file a probate suit else for a letters of administration.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2922 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

You can submit an application to the revenue department to transfer the revenue records to your name on the basis of evidence for this inheritance and a legal heirship certificate.

Subsequently you can transfer the property tax also to your name.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
72168 Answers
1078 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Kindly elaborate upon the facts so that suitable advice may be given. If the property is ancestral which I am assuming it is, then obtain a succession certificate from the district court and on that basis file for transfer in your name if there no siblings.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
12251 Answers
29 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) You have to visit revenue office and meet circle officer and make application there for transfer of property title.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12005 Answers
128 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. How have you inherited the said property?


2. Have you inherited the same after the demise of your predecessor, intestate?


3. Do you have other legal heirs also to co-inherit the said property?


4. If yes, then file an application before the BLRO/Municipal Corporation for mutating your names in their records.


5. Since there is no Deed for conveying the title of the property, your name will not be recorded iwith the Registrar.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
25416 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Please execute Special Power of Attorney in favor any of your trustworthy friend who will file application and get transfer the property in your name by approaching concerned office.  Be sure that at the time filing representation it must be accompanied by required documents like family tree, NOC, if necessary, death certificate your ancestor in whose name the property was standing and all other documents as may be suggested by the concerned offices.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4953 Answers
27 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer