• Salary hike denied

Recently my company has not given me salary hike. Reason given by them is : my salary is already above market average. Despite of the fact that I have got good performance rating.
Asked 7 months ago in Labour from gurgaon, Haryana

Sir give a notice to your company for increasing your salary. If they fail then you can tender resignation as no such specific rules for private sector hike is made.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
17092 Answers
68 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Have you signed any written contract with the company and if so, what does it say regarding increment.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
4460 Answers
46 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

it is at discretion of company to increase your salary 


you cannot claim salary increase as matter of right 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
63819 Answers
3881 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

it would be better if you raise this matter internally with company at higher level but since you asked legally, you can file an application before authority under payment of wages Act at your concerned district, but this could have its repercussions from management of your company. so do it on your on risk and perils.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
8459 Answers
3 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Kindly illustrate the situation.

If there is violation of some statutory right then you may approach the labor court. 



Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
16496 Answers
241 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You must visit your employment offer letter conditions in this regard.

If the company's act is unjustified and illegal you may first approach the top management of the company with a representation in writing in this regard and after this remedy is exhausted you may adopt legal process to get relief and remedy.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
53783 Answers
651 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your employer has the final say in deciding whether to hike the salary or not. No court can direct a private employer to hike the salary of its employees.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
26033 Answers
763 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, it is advisable to file a complaint for compensation before the labour forum Gurgaon 

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4207 Answers
29 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

private organizations have their own rules and they should abide by the rules. if you have a salary hike due as per the norms they should give it to you. having "salary is already above market average" is no ground for denying the hike. you can approach the labor court.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
3860 Answers
11 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) This is not valid reason you need to check increment criteria in the employer-employee agreement.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
6881 Answers
57 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Since It is private company and you also must have signed the agreemet of the company, so you can not legally demand salary hike. Better Talk to HR manager and bring the notice of top management about your grievances.

Best way to look for alternate company, if you really feel you are being paid low compared to market.


All the Best

G Suresh
Advocate, Chennai
387 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Appears this is a private company. You are advised to resolve this internally instead of taking any legal steps against them.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
8309 Answers
126 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please go through your terms and conditions of appointment letter then go further.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
1578 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer