• Can I purchase a house when a divorce case is going on

I have filed a petition for divorce in Aug 2014 on desertion. The issue is going on in the family court. Now, i wish to purchase a flat by taking a housing loan. I have read that wife is entitled to 50% of husbands property. Please guide me in this regard. Is she entitled to 50% of it even if i purchase the house by taking a loan and she has no contribution whatsoever.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Guntur, Andhra Pradesh

1) There's nothing that should stop you from buying a house while your divorce proceedings are in progress.

2) No law has been enacted that allows 50% property to wife so far.

3) If you buy it on your own on a personal loan no one can stake a claim. Your wife is entitled to share accommodation or separate of she approaches the court. So make a considered decision.

1) there is no such law that wife is enttiled to 50%of husband property .

2) if the house is purchased in your name you are the absolute owner of the house . 

3) wife can under provisions of domestic violence act claim right to stay in her matrimonial home 

1) it would be better if you purchase the house after your divorce is finalised 

2)in the event you still want to purchase the house you are free to do so and give it on rent

Hi, as there is proposal from the law commission that wife will be able to grt 50% share of husband property it is only a proposal parliament has not passed law.

2. You can free to buy a property you need not bother much.

She has no right of share in the flat as per current law. However she can claim for right of residence or even crete encumberance or seek injunction against its transfer by a proceeding under PWDV Act.
So buy it secretly so she may not know its existence.

1. Where did you read it? Under the present law the wife has no share in the property of her husband. A bill seeking to give an equal share to the wife is still pending in the Parliament.

2. You are absolutely free to purchase the property. Your wife will have no right to claim any share therein

You can go ahead and purchase the property without worrying that your wife will get any share in it.

1) Yes you can buy with no hassles and rent out the property.

2) Your wife needs not know you are purchasing a property.

there is no law in India yet, regarding the 50% share in husband's property.

she can not claim the property share but she may file a maintenance case if she is unable to maintain herself.

1. No. wife is not entitled to 50% of husband's property as of now,

2. There was a bill proposed to be placed before the Parliament which has not yet yielded any result,

3. You can purchase the said property now which can not be claimed by your wife as per the law in vouge at present. 

1. One thig to be kept in mind in this regard,

2. If you rent the said house, your income will increase and your wife can claim higher maintenance amount from you bacause of your so uincreased income.