• Marriage certificate

We are married 34 years back.my wife is christian and i am a Hindu. The marriage was held in church.The certificate if marriage issued by the  church is held with us. we want get our marriage certificate now.How to proceed? pl guide us.
Marriage was held at Bangalore,Karnataka state.
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Religion: Hindu
1) Marriage under Special Marriage Act can be registered in the office of the Marriage Officer in whose jurisdiction bride or bridegroom resides;

2) since both parties are not Hindus application for registration should be amde under SMA 

3) Application form duly signed by both husband and wife.

4) Documentary evidence of date of birth of parties (Matriculation Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate) Minimum age of both parties is 21 years at the time of registration under the Special Marriage Act.
5) Ration card of husband or wife whose area SDM has been approached for the certificate.
In case of Special Marriage Act, documentary evidence regarding stay in bangalore of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO).
6) Affidavit by both the parties stating place and date of marriage, date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality.
7) Two passport size photographs of both the parties and one marriage photograph.
Marriage invitation card, if available.
8) If marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage.
9) affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship as per  Special Marriage Act 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46908 Answers
2775 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, you can register your marriage in the jurisdictional sub-registrar both  you have to produce your address proof, aged proof and marriage certificate and passport size photos.

2.  You have to file a application then you can register your marriage.

3. You can register your marriage based on your address proof in the Adhar Card or DL.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1. How could the church issue the certificate unless the man and woman were Christians? The marriage is not legally valid if the certificate has been issued by the church in favour of man and woman who were not christians. 

2. It is your own statement that you have been issued a marriage certificate by the church. Which certificate do you want now?  In India, if the copy of the Church Marriage Certificate has been sent to the Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages as per the legal requirement then this Church Marriage Certificate has legal validity.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23180 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

marriage should be registered within 15 days of solemnization, but it is not mandatory. you can register your marriage after due date. apply for registration before marriage registrar, along with residential proof, solemnization proof( church's certificate), identity proof, two witness. consult with a local advocate, he may help you better.
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5066 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. You can not get your marriage certificate since you did not go for registered marriage before 34 years,

2. However, you can get your marriage which was solemnized before 34 years, registered in the Court and get that certificate which will certify that you had married each other 34 years back.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18818 Answers
454 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Go to the local Court and catch hold of a lawyer,

2. Produce the certificate issued by the Church and/or marriage photographs, invitaion card to him,

3. He will draft a petition for registering your said marriage to be filed before the Court,

4.It is a simple and not expensive procedure.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18818 Answers
454 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer