• Eligibility for domicile


My maternal grandfather has been a resident of Bihar, He holds a house there. My mother had been staying in bihar untill her marriage. Can I get a domicile of Bihar based on this fact?
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

12 Answers


As per your submission, you may not have a residence or domicile certificate of Bihar.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

your mother can claim her share by filing a partition suit, But your mother cannot claimed it directly during life time of your paternal grand father

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Dear Client,

The domicile of a minor follows the domicile of the parent from whom he derived his domicile of origin and A wife’s (your mother) domicile during her marriage follows the domicile of her husband.

On her separation from husband, you can acquire domicile of bihar.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

No based on this the domicile certificate cannot be granted. For domicile you need to stay in bihar for least for 10 years.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


A Domicile certificate is generally issued to prove that an applicant is a permanent resident of that particular state from past 10 years. So, if you have been usual resident of the place since last 10 years then you may apply for the same.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You were not. Born in Bihar not have e stayed in Bihar for last 10 years or studied in Bihar

You are not eligible for Bihar domicile

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87938 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) Your Domilce certificate will get from where you do have permanent address for living on your name or your parents name.

1. General: (1) Country or place where a person has his or her fixed or legal address, or permanent residence (home), and to which he or she intends to return if currently residing elsewhere.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You cannot get domicile certificate from Bihar as both of your parents do not live in Bihar since your birth

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Which is your birth place and where your mother has gone after marriage depends on this the answer to your question.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
2283 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It may be difficult to get domicile status of Bihar on the basis of the given information.

However you may submit an application to the |Tahsildar/Revenue officer within your Tehsil. and await their reply in order to initiate further steps that may be applicable as per law.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78095 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Unless you were born in Bihar or you had been a resident of the state you cannot get the domicile of Bihar.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30761 Answers
971 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You will get domicile if you are born in bihar and/or staying in bihar for more than 15 years.

Abhilasha Wanmali
Advocate, Nagpur
1022 Answers
1 Consultation

4.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer