• Surname of wife for my children?

Can I use my wife's surname (Shaik Mahammad) instead of mine(Patnool)? We are 'SHAIK' community but unfortunately neither my surname nor my certificates have it. But my wife has 'SHAIK' in her certificates. So can I get my children's surname as either "shaik" OR "shaik Patnool"?

Thank you
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Muslim

6 answers received in 2 hours.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

Children surname can be mentioned as Shaikh in their birth certificate and school records

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87955 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Yes you can use the sir name of your wife for the child, there is no legal hurdle in the same.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can, the child can us the surname either of father or mother.

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6220 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


it seems that you too are shaik so that means you can use it. you can change your children's surname but you have to perform the necessary formalities. otherwise, also, you can do it.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13760 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no legal bar to not to use your wife surname. You can well go ahead and mention her surname in your children records. Mention the names in birth record and school records. If the name are already reflected and you want to add surname you need to file suit for declaration and thereafter get the surname affixed in the records through order of court

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can put your wife’s surname with your child’s name. No issues with the same.

Ruchit Dugar
Advocate, New Delhi
190 Answers

4.9 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

You can use surname of your wife to your child there is no law which prohibits it. The procedure is as follows:


Dear Friend,

Karnataka Govt. has its own rules and same has to be followed by all the companies in Karnataka. The link is below:

The Karnataka Government Servants (Procedure for Change of Names) Rules, 1967.




Experience share by an individual


Notifying In Karnataka Gazette Regarding Your Name Change


Procedure to correct name in SSLC marks card?

There is a procedure you have to follow for correction of name in the SSLC mark sheet and you have to file an application for it to the board which will be forwarded by the School Headmaster. You can get your name changed by following a simple procedure which is given below.

• Just explain your problem to your school Headmaster that you have this problem in your mark sheet.

• You will be given an application form for correction of name in your certificate.

• You have to forward various documents related to your admission in the school

with this application like admission form which was filled during admission into the school, school leaving certificate and other relevant documents related to your admission which mentions your correct name.

• This application will be forwarded to the board by your school headmaster and if your documents are valid then there will be no problem in correction of your name in the marks sheet.



Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Yes sir you can change your surname at same time can keep.the surname of child either SAikh of saikhpatnool according to your wish and can register same under birth certificate school.admission and other id cards.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You are free to suffix the surname of your wife to your child. There is no bar in law to a child having his surname as that of his mother instead of father.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30761 Answers
971 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer