• Marriage

My son ( 30 Years ) is Indian citizen and went to Canada on PR and working in MNC . he wants to marry a Vietnam girl ( 31 years ) who came to Canada on study visa . Now they want to marry in Canada and wants to stay in Canada . Indian parents are not interesting and not going there . is any body from boys family side needed as per law to sign on witness column .
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

16 Answers

No sir parents signature as witness are not required to marry in Canada there can be any witnesses to marriage as two consenting adults can marry and there friends or other family members can be witness to there marriage. It is not mandatory for parents to be witness.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


there is no need for the parents to be present in a purely civil ceremony at the registrar office.

he is going to need witnesses which can be his friends/acquaintances.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13757 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

No it will not be needed and since the marriage Is going to take place in Canada it will be guided by local laws existing there for solemnising the marriage. Secondly since both are adults any witness will be sufficient to sign on witness column not necessary that it should be parents.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


They will be marrying as per the law of Canada and it is not mandatory for a family member to be a witness to the marriage.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

His friends, relatives can sign as a witness. You need two witnesses for the same. You are a major and can marry any girl who is a major with their own will. No compulsion of any family member to witness.

Ruchit Dugar
Advocate, New Delhi
190 Answers

4.9 on 5.0

it is not necessary that any witness be form boy family

2) your son should get marriage registered with indian embassy under provisions of foreign marriages act

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87917 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hello sir , the Canadian law is different from Indian law .. In India two family member witness from each side is required ...

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. To register a marriage signature of witness is essential

2. However a witness need to be known to both the parties or reach party respectively.

3. So in other words no law prescribes a family members to be only competent witness for registration of marriage.

4. in other words the colleagues or friends of the parties are competent to sign as witness only.

Good luck.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

For this you must ideally consult a Canadian based lawyer as we the lawyers in India know only the Indian law.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30761 Answers
971 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) No in witness column no parents are not require or it's not compulsory.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

No any such requirement.

Jugal Kishore Agrawal
Advocate, Jaipur
81 Answers

Not rated

This is my response to you:

1. No you will not need witness from the boy's family;

2. The wedding must be legally witnessed by two other individuals aged 18 or over. The minister or marriage commissioner presiding over the wedding will complete the marriage registration formalities, which are then recorded at the Division of Vital Statistics;

3. It does not specify who should be the witness and any visitor can get married to any woman in Canada.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Nobody required from your side.Anybody can sign the witness column.Not required in CANADA.

Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

No, there is no provision of law which talks about of the presence of any family member as a witness.

Anyone who is concerned about future of the bride and groom can be called as a witness.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

As as the boy has legally attend the age of marriage it does not need to seek permission from his parents before marrying anyone. Furthermore, any adult person can sign as witness to the marriage between the boy and the Vietnamese girl.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5928 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Since he is desirous of marrying her as per Canada Country laws, there is no question of someone to witness from India from boy side.

They can marry as per the prevailing law of that country.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78073 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer