• Date

Hello Mr. Ajay,

I am Gaurav, resident of Pune, Maharashtra. My query is regarding date of birth change in birth certificate. Here is my case :

1. I was born in Nashik .
2. My class 10th certificate and all other documents like 12 certificate, graduation, pg certificate, pan card, aadhar card, passport has 16th May, 1982 as Date of birth.
3. As per my father my date of birth in birth certificate or record with municipality is 16th July, 1981.
4. My father has no record of original birth certificate or hospital discharge to show 16th July, 1981 as DoB.

So my question is how can I change the date of birth record with municipal to 16th May, 1982 matching all the documents. 
Please note that I don't have any evidence to show that my actual date of birth is 16th July 1981.
Also, how can I obtain the birth certificate with date of birth as in all other documents

Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

15 Answers


Let's talk in short.....

Try via filing a declaration suit under CPC.

(Code of civil Procedure)

Thank You

Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5365 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

you need hospital discharge report to show that your date of birth is 16th july 1981

2) muncipal corporation would not change your birth certificate to 16th may 1982 in absence of documentary evidence as to your date of birth

3) they would ask you to obtain court orders to change your date of birth in your birth certificate

4) court would not pass orders in your favour unless you are able to prove your actual date of birth

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87897 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. Approach the Registrar of Births and deaths to register the correct birth of date;

2. Also carry an affidavit stating the correction to be made;

3. If they don't allow then you will have to apply before the court;

4. You can also do this online: https://dgps.maharashtra.gov.in/pdf/E_Gazette_User_Manual_PDF_21.pdf

5. You can also see this website: https://aaplesarkar.mahaonline.gov.in/en .

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

First apply before the Registrar of birth to change the DoB based on the documents and affidavit since you donot have any hospital reports.

further if the registrar deny you will need a court order to change the DOB and establish the said date before the court.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Approach the municipal corporation seeking for issuance of birth certificate if they refuse to do you need to file a suit for declaration before jurisdiction court seeking direction to the municipal Corporation to issue a birth certificate based on available records.

Court may ask for hospital discharge certificate for that your ground should be you were born in home and not in hospital as such there are no records except your tenth marks card showing original date of birth.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. you will have to approach the Registrar appointed under the registration of births and deaths act, 1969 for every local area

2. generally an officer of the municipal corporation is appointed as a registrar under the above act

3. you will have to make an application to the registrar with all supporting documents and pray for amending the register of births and deaths for your birth date which is erroenous

4. the registrar will impose certain terms and conditions to allow the application made by you, like issuing a public notice and having the correction in birth date recorded in the maharashtra official gazette

5. once he is satisfied that the terms for making the change have been properly complied with, he will make the required change in the register of births and deaths

6. you can apply for a certified extract of the register containing the above correction, for purpose of effecting change in your birth date in other records

Yusuf Rampurawala
Advocate, Mumbai
6876 Answers
79 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


There is no point in getting the documents changes. If you do not have the birth certificate then I would advise you to get it made through some agent in the city in which you were born.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) If you know the date of birth place in which hospital you were born, in the hospital you can get it correct DOB certificate.

2) As per your DOB certificate status in the municipality records is 16th July 1981. Than you have change your DOB accordingly on all government records except educational institutions.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


Go to your municipal and there you get form of change of name in certificate.

Fill the form and deposit fees and submit documents with that like your 10th marksheet

and all other documents where the changed date is mentioned.

After this formalities they will give you 1-2 day time for certificate prepared.

for easy going hire one local lawyer for this.

Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Simply apply to the municipal corporation along with your document and request for issue of birth certificate.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969


13. Delayed registration of births and deaths (1) Any birth or death of which information is given to the Registrar after the expiry of the period specified there for, but within thirty days of its occurrence, shall be registered on payment of such late fee as may be prescribed. (2) Any birth or death of which delayed information is given to the Registrar after thirty days but within one year of its occurrence shall be registered only with the written permission of the prescribed authority and on payment of the prescribed fee and the production of an affidavit made before a notary public or any other officer authorised in this behalf by the State Government. (3) Any birth or death which has not been registered within one year of its occurrence, shall be registered only on an order made by a Magistrate of the first class or a Presidency Magistrate after verifying the correctness of the birth or death and on payment of the prescribed fee. (4) The provisions of this section shall be without prejudice to any action that may be taken against a person for failure on his part to register any birth or death within the time specified therefor and any such birth or death may be registered during the pendency of any such action.



Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

You can go with original Documents to Municipal Office. Request them to make changes. DOB in your 10th Certificate is considered final . You need not to show your other certificates.

Jaswant Singh
Advocate, Gurugram
926 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Firstly, you'll need to approach the municipal corporation for issuance of birth certificate of the original date, if they do not entertain your bonfide rewuest, then you will need to file a suit for declaration before civil court having jurisdiction to entertain such a case praying for order to the municipal Corporation to issue a birth certificate based on original DOB.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5925 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You say that you don't have proof for the date of birth recorded in the municipality, but what is the proof for your current DOB?

You cannot change the date of birth registered with municipality by an application until you have documentary evidence to prove this as incorrect.

Alternately you may get a declaration by an order of court declaring your correct date of birth.

You consult an advocate in the local on all such further issues.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78050 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firstly, the municipal record of your birth is always prevailed by the school certificate specially of class 10 and 12.

Secondly, so you don’t have any need to worry about any thing.

Thirdly, if somebody ask for your birth record then always show school certificate and other ids, no need to show them the municipal records, there is no law which says that you should have a municipal birth certificate.

Fourthly, it is only asked for at the time of getting school admission.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer