• Foreign marriage registration

Hi I’m a Bangladeshi Citizen and recently got married in traditional way in India. My husband is from Gwalior. And now for almost 2 months me and my husband are trying to get registry marriage so that I can apply for X- Visa to stay in India. I’ve all legal documents and also NOC from embassy. Advocate told us to go collector Office and from collector Office they are saying to go Nagarnigam Office. As they never does any foreign marriage registry. I’m so sad because my Visa will expire very soon.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

3 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

11 Answers

you both can marry by way of special marriage act in india.

Aveek Bose
Advocate, Kolkata
1222 Answers
9 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Dear Concerned,

Kindly go to Local Marriage Registrar office and your marriage will be registered under the Foreigners Marriage Act after the due procedures are followed. It is suggested to personally go and meet the marriage officer at your District Marriage Registrar office for detailed procedure of marriage registration and documents needed, as what is suggested here may 100% vary from the need of the local officer.

Best of luck

Atulay Nehra
Advocate, Noida
1282 Answers
58 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Respected Mam,

The marriage if both are hindus can be registered under hindu marriage act if so is not the case then the section 15 of special marriage act shall apply that marriage has been already completed and registration under special marriage act.

15. Registration of marriages celebrated in other forms.-

Any marriage celebrated, whether before or after the commencement of this Act, other than a

marriage solemnized under the Special Marriage Act, 1872 or under this Act, may be registered

under this Chapter by a Marriage Officer in the territories to which this Act extends if the

following conditions are fulfilled, namely:

(a) a ceremony of marriage has been performed between the parties and they have been living

together as husband and wife ever since

(b) neither party has at the time of registration more than one spouse living;

(c) neither party is an idiot or a lunatic at the time of registration:

(d) the parties have completed the age of twenty-one year at the time of registration;

(e) the parties are not within the degrees of prohibited relationship:

Provided that in case of a marriage celebrated before the commencement of this Act, this

condition shall be subject to any law, custom or usage having the force of law governing each of

them which permits of a marriage between the two; and

(f) the parties have been residing within the district of the Marriage Officer for a period of not

less than thirty days immediately preceding the date on which the application is made to him

for registration of the marriage.

The marriage shall be registered by the local registrar of marriage in gwaliaor under section 16 of Special marriage act. the proof of ceremony of marriage, Identity proof, photo graph duly signed application form and affidavit are required , further passport copy.

16. Procedure for registration.- Upon receipt of an application signed by both the parties to the

marriage for the registration of their under this chapter, the Marriage Officer shall give public

notice thereof in such manner as may be prescribed and after allowing a period of thirty days

for objection and after hearing any objection received within that period, shall, if satisfied that

all the conditions mentioned in Sec. 15 are fulfilled, enter a certificate of the marriage in the

Marriage Certificate Book in the Form specified in the Fifth Schedule and such certificate shall

be signed by the parties to the marriage and by three witnesses.

So after completing procedure mentioned in above section the marriage shall be registered and certificate shall be issued.

Further also if both are hindu same registrar shall register the marriage under hindu marriage act as the act extends to territories beyond India if two hindu are married. So accordingly do the Registrar will do needful if any doubt reproduce following section of special marriage act before him for insight,

Further apply for extension of visa with FRRO office by furnishing proof of marriage and marriage registration the FRRO shall extend the visa.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

U should had applied for marriage under special marriage act ( Court Marriage ).

Well, if u Hindu than your marriage will govern under Hindu Marriage Act. Nagar Nigam have to issue marriage certificate.

Show them sec 2. Application of Act.- (1) This Act applies,-

(a) to any person who is a Hindu by religion in any of of its forms or developments, including a Virashaiva, a Lingayat or a follower of the Brahmo, Prarthana or Arya Samaj;

Or file writ in High Court for directions and extension of VISA and show urgency about expiring of VISA.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Talk to their senior or let them talk me.

Apply via duly form, if refused take it in return reason of refusal.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Under the Foreign Marriage Act, 1969, the Embassy is authorized to solemnize a marriage when one or both the partners are Indian citizens.

The Foreign marriage Act, 1969 will give you the complete details including the procedure to solemnize the marriage, issue of notice and registration details.

For any other queries, feel free to consult.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5930 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you can register your marriage under provisions of special marriages act

2) Both partners need to fill the relevant application form, sign it, and submit it, along with photocopies of the necessary documents , such as age proof and address proof

3)The following documents are required for both the partners:

a valid Passport

original Birth Certificate showing parents' names

if the person concerned is widowed, the original death certificate of the deceased spouse

If divorced, copy of the final decree

documentary evidence regarding stay in India of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO)

4)ffidavit by both the parties stating place and date of marriage, date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality and that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship as per Special Marriage Act

5. Two passport size photographs of both the parties and one marriage photograph.

6. Marriage invitation card, if available.

7 If marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87947 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You have to follow the procedures meant for special marriage act.

If you're a foreigner who's dreamed of getting married in India, you may be disappointed to know that it's a lengthy and time consuming process to do it legally. You should be prepared to spend around 60 days in India. Here are the basic legal requirements for getting married in India.

In India, civil weddings are governed by the provisions of The Special Marriage Act (1954). Under the Act, there’s a 30 day residency requirement, which means that either the bride or the groom has to be living in India for at least 30 days prior to applying to the local registry office to get married. For foreigners, this is evidenced by a certificate from the local police station.

You’ll need to submit your own documents to prove your identity.

If no objections to the marriage are received within 30 days of the application, a civil ceremony at the registry office can then take place. Three witnesses are required, who have to provide passport sized photographs, as well as identification and proof of address. The marriage certificate is usually issued a couple of weeks after the wedding.

Since your wife will be here on a tourist visa, you have to convert her visa from a tourist visa to a short visit visa (valid for one year). For this you may have to visit the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO). For this one has to go to Delhi at the following address: The Director (Foreigner), Ministry of Home affairs, Visa Facilitation Centre, Jaisalmer House, 26, Mansingh Road, New Delhi - 110 011. She should carry the original marriage certificate, and both your passports. A fresh visa application form has to be submitted. As a note, to add that a tourist visa is extendable by 45 days (Max) if an Indian citizen gives an undertaking in writing. The undertaking form is available with them.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78104 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have all the valid documents to travel and stay in India both of you should approach to Registrar of marriage in the city you are resident to and apply for the registration of your marriage along with all your relevant document which is necessary to identify your nationality and personal identification register after due enquiry in this regard will allow the registration of marriage after 30 days of application if there is no dispute.

It is just like normal marriage registration there is nothing is specific about it.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1) You can register your marriage under Special Marriage Act and Foreign Marriage Act.

"If you want to register your marriage in India you will need to get married as per The Foreign Marriage Act before the diplomatic or consular officer appointed for such purpose."

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12338 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

The department of foreign marriage registration is formed by government to register Marriage under foreign marriage Act 1969.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27275 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer