• Medical negligence

my mother was admitted in an ISO 9001-2008 certified nursing home for paracentesis.within 24 hours they had done 6 times the process.they do not follow the best way,the whole process was done by a novice doctor.after 24 hours my mother had died.after that i asked them to provide me some medical information after consultation with a senior oncologist underRTI ACT 2005.but the authority said me that they do not come under the ambit of the said act.so my query is that how to get information from them?
Asked 3 years ago in Civil Law from Hugli Chinsurah, West Bengal
1. Yes, they do not come under RTI Act,

2. Send them a legal notice sking the said information under copy to Medical Council of india,

3. Collect as much information/evidence about the negligence of the Nurshing Home,

4. Lodge a complaint before the MCI against the concerned doctor,

5. File a complaint before the local District Consumer Dispute Redressal Forum alleging deficincy in service and unfair business practice claiming damage and cost,

6. The case of Anuradha Saha before the Supreme Court may be referred in this regard.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18164 Answers
439 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) i disagree. pvt hospital is bound to furnish medical records under RTI 

(Room No.315, B­Wing, August Kranti Bhawan, Bhikaji Cama Place, New Delhi 110 066)
File No.CIC/AD/A/2013/001681­SA
(Ms.Nisha Priya Bhatia  Vs. Institute of HB&AS, GNCTD)
Appellant : Ms. Nisha Priya Bhatia
Respondent : Institute of Human Behaviour
and Allied Sciences, GNCTD

The Right of patient to Information to his/her own medical record is not only
guaranteed under RTI , Medical council act , consumer protection ac  but also rooted in Article 21, right to life
which include right to health and Article 19(1)(a), right to freedom of speech and
expression, which include right to receive information. This right is not limited to
records held by public authorities alone but extends to all hospitals including
private or corporate hospitals also to individual doctors, who treat patients. The
20Information   Commission   can  enforce  the  same   as  per  mandate  of   Parliament
through the definition of information under Section 2(f).
The Commission, thus, holds that undoubtedly the appellant, being a patient has a
right to detailed medical record about her treatment under Section 3 of the RTI
Act, also under Consumer Protection Act, 1986 and Medical Council Act 1956. 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44485 Answers
2586 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Right to Information under Medical Council of India Regulations          

The Medical Council of India has imposed an obligation on Hospitals as per the
regulations notified on 11th  March 2002, amended up to December 2010 to maintain the
medical record and provide patient access to it. These regulations were made in exercise of
the powers conferred under section 20A read with section 33(m) of the Indian Medical
Council Act, 1956 (102 of 1956), by the Medical Council of India, with the previous approval
of the Central Government, relating to the Professional Conduct, Etiquette and Ethics for
registered medical practitioners, namely:­
Maintenance of Medical Records: 
1.3.1. Every physician shall maintain the medical records pertaining to his/her
indoor patients for a period of three years from the date of commencement of the
treatment in a standard proforma laid down by the Medical Council of India and
attached as Appendix 3. 
1.3.2.  If   any   request   is   made   for   medical   records   either   by   the
patients/authorised attendant or legal authorities involved, the same may
be duly acknowledged and documents shall be issued within the period of
72 hours.
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44485 Answers
2586 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The hospital has violated the law. It is duty bound to furnish information to the relatives of the deceased under its certification.

2. Since the information is being denied to you, you can issue a lawyer's notice to the hospital to seek the required information.

3. If the information sought is not furnished even after the notice from your lawyer then you may move to court and seek an appropriate order.

4. As regards the medical negligence, you can prosecute the hospital and the doctor. If you have cogent documentary proof of the negligence of the doctor and/or the hospital then you can file criminal charges against them in addition to suing them for damages.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


1) The hospital ought to have parted with information as you have every right to get them as the relative of the deceased person,.

2) At this stage you need to send a legal notice to the Hospital demanding the information in print to you.

30 If with the records obtained you find a fit case for medical negligence, you can not only claim damages but also bring about criminal charges against the doctor and the hospital as such.
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
2233 Answers
110 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, as the private hospital did not come under RTI.

2. you can issued legal notice for hospital for medical negligence and there after file a complaint under consumer protection act.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4538 Answers
202 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Dear Querist
if you think that there is any negligence on the part of the doctor or nursing home then first of all send a legal notice to them and claim compensation.  after that you may file a civil suit for damages or you may file a complaint before consumer Court against the nursing Home or doctor or both.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4796 Answers
220 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer