• Husband refusing to spend money on my pregnancy

After I conceived I was living with my parents, coz my husband is working at another city & he doesn't want me to live alone with his mother as she used to fights with me and mentally abuse me always. She even chased her husband out of her house and my husband's family hidden this truth to us before our marriage. it is her property and gets rent monthly about 50 K. Nowadays He rarely visits me, I asked him for pregnancy expenses and he said " for the first pregnancy and baby related expenses to be taken care by girl family, hope your family will take care of the expenses" I was heart broken hearing so. My husband is currently working in RBI and refuses to visit me or ask about my health. I was working before and after marriage too due my pregnancy period I left my work. Is it so that all pregnancy allowance should be provided by my parents? already they spend lakhs for my marriage and dowry and I'm having a brother who is studying in college and my mother is going for dialysis thrice a week my dad have so much commitments too. I feel very pityful. Can you please give me any solution towards this. Shall I have rights to inform this straight to rbi? I'm currently preparing competitive exams and trying jobs in government sector.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

15 Answers

Dear Client,

There`s no such law which burden parents to bear first pregnancy expanses. This is shit excuse any husband can give.

Well, amicably u have no solution, neither RBI may help u in this, U can request the RBI authorities, might they insist on husband to bear expanses.

Next option is through court, there u can claim expanses, maintenance etc.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1) inform your husband that your parents cannot meet your pregnancy expenses as your mother is undergoing dialysis thrice a week and your brother is studying

2) if husband refuses to pay file application for maintenance under section 125 cr pc

3) it is your husband responsibility to maintain you and bear expenses for your pregnancy

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87975 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Do not take any rash decision. In this hour you need to be calm and composed.

2. I think the expenses towards c- section operation will be born by his employer.

3. There are lot of litigation options available but the same is likely to wreck your marriage. So be patient and do not show any anger or frustrations as this stage.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no such thing that girl family bear expenses the husband has to bear the cost and if he is not doing so file a case under crpc 125 for maintaince.

Also informing rbi authority won't do any gud as rbi is no authority for maintenance.

File in court seek maintenance from your husband.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


It is the duty of your husband to take care of you and your child . If he is not doing it , then you have to file a case under section 125 of the Crpc. But I would like to suggest you to take steps carefully so that the marriage persists .

Hope this helps .

Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2941 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

You just give an application to his head of the department in RBI and claim maintenance. As the medical expenses are paid by the department for self and family by RBI.

Other wise file a maintenance case under section 125 of CrPC.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Hello mam, it is advisable to file a maintanace application under 125 Crpc and ask for interim maintanace for yourself and for the medical expenses.. The court shall decide the interim maintanace within 60 days , untill the final maintanace is granted by court

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

It is better to resolve the issue with your husband without any interference of third parties. The employer is not responsible for the private life of employee. If you opt to complain to your husband's employer, it may prove to be counter-productive.

Swaminathan Neelakantan
Advocate, Coimbatore
1923 Answers
20 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

There is no legal solution. Legal decision will separate both. Find ways to be with your husband. Don't stay away as he may get into some other relationships. Your message looks like he doesn't like living with you and the baby. Don't delay, make efforts to stay with him. After marriage, the girl should stay with husband despite odds.

Rajaganapathy Ganesan
Advocate, Chennai
2085 Answers
8 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


It is the duty of husband to bear all the expenses of pregnancy.

It is not a duty of girl parents.

But my suggestion in this matter that you should be talk with your husband calmly and solved all the maters.

I think there should be some misunderstanding between both of you.

express your father's situation to him.

I think rbi also not take any intrest in this matter.

Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can take proper step under the domestic violence act because this kind of act of your husband constitutes cruelty. It is responsibility of the husband to bear all the necessary expenses incurred during the pregnancy. You can also claim expenses under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure. After the marriage it is not responsibility of a father to bears these expenses.

Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5127 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

In this scenario you should prefer a complaint before the first class magistrate under section 12 of the domestic violence act and under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure. Both proceedings can run concurrently. But I advise you to please handle this issue carefully and do not try to engage law or law enforcement machinery at the early stage.  initiate legal proceeding should be the last resort if you're unable to get any relief from mutual settlement

Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5127 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

The general customary tradition in Tamilnadu in this regard is that the girl's side family look after the expenses of first delivery.

This matter should have been discussed with him before you leaving your matrimonial home.

Now since you are living in your parents home your parents may be obliged to take care of your pregnancy related expenses.

Strictly, there is no rule or law in support of either side on this subject.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78133 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist

if you want to take legal action against him then you have many options but there will be a chance of broken of this Marriage.

you may file a maintenance Petition before the Family Court and claim maintenance from him and 1/3 of his Income can be granted to you as maintenance till you joined your work.

you may file a criminal complaint against him before the magistrate under section 12, 18,19,20,21 & 22 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act-2005 and claim protection, right to residence, monetary relief, child custody and compensation, including all the expenses of pregnancy and delivery of the child.

Feel Free to Call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6220 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


there is no point of informing the same to RBI.

Instead file a case under section 125 of the Cr.P.C. and claim compensation from the husband.

Also, ask the court to finalize the interim maintenance at the earliest since you are pregnant

Being your husband it is his duty to maintain you

You may also send a legal notice in advance, and see if the same works and he starts giving you the money.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer