• Wanted to buy government land blocking access to road

I bought 3 Acres of agricultural land in the rural area of telangana state.
A piece of govt. land is in between my land and the road.
I came to know about it after buying.
But the possession of the land was upto the road without any fence or construction.
I want to make plots for sale in the land.
How can I buy the govt. land which is in between my land and the road.
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Muslim

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

12 Answers

You cannot but the land if govt has no intentions to sell the land

2) you canseek easmentary right of necessity if there is no other access to your land

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87901 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Contact the government if they are ready to sell the same or not.

if the same has been reserved for expansion of road in future, then you will not be able to purchase the same.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot buy a government land if it is earmarked for road construction in future. However you can approach concerned authority expressing your willingness to buy land. If they do not want to sell you can file a suit claiming easementary right to your property if there is no access to your land.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

there is no provision where you can purchase government land however you can visit the concerned authority and get the land leased in your name for a particular period and later get the same freehold

Since you are a businessman you dont have to live yourself, You just need to go to the chairperson of the authority of that town and note down the status of the property and later get it leased in your companies name. and leave the later part to the purchaser

the concerned officer dream of some money which if you offer will very happily do the needful

Amol Chitravanshi
Advocate, Delhi
279 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Claim it by way of adverse possession either by yourself or by your previous owner. In the sale deed the boundary must be shown as ‘road’ not as “govt. land and then road”. If the sale deed does not contain such boundaries then take rectified sale deed. Government never sell the lands only lease for 30 years etc…I am from Telangana please talk to me in Telugu. I am fond of Telugu.You wish to form plots will come true.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Check whether the Govt. Want to sale the land or not. Sometimes, Govt. propose to offer land on a certain years period on lease.

Moumita Mitra
Advocate, Kolkata
366 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

1) you have to check under whose authority that land appears, means , Municipality , state or central government than you have to apply accordingly.

2) secondly you can ask to easement of road for transportation till your plot that is your rights for further communication and day to local transactions.

3) For buying government land that will be more hectic to you because lots of political people will be involved in it and that will be very difficult to purchase it.

If you have political background behind you than you can purchase that land easily

a) If that land is Municipality land than you can check with local ruling Corporate and Administrator.

b) If the land belongs to State than check with ruling and local MLA.

c) If it belongs to Central government land than ruling and Local MP's for it.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. The purchase of any land depends on the consent of seller and there is ni exception for this if the seller is government.

2. So approach the government for thus. However do note that no sale of public property is allowed without a tender.

3. So once tender is floated the land is expected to be sold to the highest bidder.

So lot of uncertainty is involved in purchasing this property.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It is always advisable to get a legal opinion before buying an immovable property to avoid such legal hassles in future.

You should be aware that you cannot buy government land just like that as you are buying a property from a seller.

You cannot claim any rights over the property which belongs to government, hence you have no option than to leave it just like that to avoid problems from government side for encroaching or land grabbing offence.

Dont be misguided by the false statements made by touts or middlemen who may lure you with tall promises to transfer the government land to you by adjusting the government officials.

Mind it nobody can do that, you will land up in further losses and more crimes.

Better ignore doing any activity in that land and concentrate only in your own property development.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78059 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can't buy government land till it is not auctioned by govt. By auction but you can approach authorities and find out under what governemnt department the road is. Then you can get proper information if the govt. Department is ready and willing to set it out or its under road development

Also you can develop the land and claim way by adverse possesion through old owner and yourself.

In govt. Land if your using way from 30 years than you have adverse possesion to it and the way cannot he closed . Even otherwise the if no way to land than you can claim easement of necessity under easement act.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to approach the land holding agency of that particular area.

Make a request to buy that as per the circle rate.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can't buy a government land till it is offered for sale or auctioned. You need to apply to the appropriate department of government for the same.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27234 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer